View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Another weekend project - stock trailer 
Regular Gardner

Post Another weekend project - stock trailer
One of my brothers had built an 8x5 dual axle trailer with a galvanised cage that was up until recently residing in my shed but he recently bought a 1/2 acre property that has reulted in mn loosing the trailer.

So yesterday at 2.00pm I started building my own stock trailer using one of my trailers - the 6x4.

Ive tried to use as much recycled material as I could to keep the project as cost neutral as possible. I olny had to buy heavy duty gal hinges and some 50x50mm caps. Just got to add wire mesh to the door paint all the weld areas with some gold gal paint abd we're done. This is what it looks like as of 6.00pm tonight.

The mesh is the 25x25mm mesh panels which I may change out to 50x50mm mesh later on.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:05 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Another weekend project - stock trailer
That looks great, well done for using so much recycled material, I need to make myself something like that soon.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Mmmmm that garage looks too clean and tidy.......

You need another project :lol:

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

funny I noticed that too- I was thinking to myself that having noticed that-it just demonstrates my state of chaos and insecurity!!!!

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Well my OH has no choice these days, he no longer can 'spread' the stuff around a four car garage - not only does it now 'fit' into a 20ft shipping container, but if things are not put back where they belong, it takes him half a day to find it for the next project. :lol: :lol:

Which has backfired a little as he tries to place the same principle on my handbag :halo

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Would suggest adding something to the top if you are going to transport sheep unless you will just tarp over or something like that. You would be surprised how high some sheep jump. :o

Are you making it so the cage can be lifted off the trailer bed, or are you going to permanently weld it to the trailer?

The cage looks really really good, I have to do something like this myself at some stage. :)

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm
Regular Gardner

Cai wrote:
That looks great, well done for using so much recycled material, I need to make myself something like that soon.

Thanks Cai. Although I spent a weekend on it, it sure beats paying someone else to do it and this way I incorporate the features I want.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:23 pm
Regular Gardner

Lindon wrote:
Mmmmm that garage looks too clean and tidy.......

Lindon wrote:

I just made sure I cleaned up before i took the photos...what you cant see in the workshop area and trust me that are needs some cleaning and sorying out.

Lindon wrote:

I have plenty more projects to come....Im just trying to deal with them on a one in/one out basis (excluding the Falcon) otherwise I would have a hundred unfinished projects going on at the same time - and thats never pretty or productive

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:28 pm
Regular Gardner

Expedite wrote:
Would suggest adding something to the top if you are going to transport sheep unless you will just tarp over or something like that. You would be surprised how high some sheep jump. :o

Yes that has been the overall plan but I am actually hoping I can get some canvas sewn up that would not only look after the top but also the sides to provide protection to any livestock i may be carting around.

Expedite wrote:
Are you making it so the cage can be lifted off the trailer bed, or are you going to permanently weld it to the trailer?

I have made it to bolt on and off. I want to get my hands on some u-bolts to weld on the top rails so that I can then use a sling and block and tackle to lift the cage off.

Expedite wrote:
The cage looks really really good, I have to do something like this myself at some stage. :)

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:36 pm
Forum Moderator

very nicely done.

We made a crate for the back othe ute a couple of weeks ago just out of weld mesh - No welding required :thumbright - fits 5 sheep.

Though not as tidy as yours.

Bernie

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]