View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
My new Learner Edible Beds. 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: My new Learner Edible Beds.
Good stuff Brad - lok slike youve got just about everything Covered there :thumbright

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:34 pm
Forum Moderator

Gday 68bus,

love your planter design, very practical. I see you have had success as well. congrats on starting to grow your own..............and by the way i think a gnome in a mankini would be hilarous, pity their not a more respectable price, maybe whilst waiting for your carrots to grow you paint a change of attire to a cheapo gnome :lol:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm
Site Administrator

Wow - they look fantastic!! Sorry it's taken me some time to find this thread and congratulate you. :)

I am very impressed. I really like things to look tidy so they really appeal. Great to hear they are working their magic on the plants!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:10 pm
Regular Gardner

I thought I would update with a few photos of the plant growth to date.
Bed 1 -
Basil (seedling) if going great and makes a delisious Pesto.
My camp joys tomotoes (seed) behind took some time to get their grow on but a starting to get bigger now.
Italian Parsely (Seedling) is not really at proper harvest yet. Had bits of it and taste is good though.

Tyme (seelding) is going strong and I have harvested a handful for last nights roast.
Zucchini Blacka and Green (seedling) are getting bigger and onto second flower cycle (have tried to cross polinate this time. I have lost one green and a second looks a bit sick though.
Roma Tomoatoes (seed) are going well, still be a while before fruit though.

Bed 2 -
Cucumber (seed) is going nuts. Got quite a few flowers on it so hopefully they will make me some salad soon.
Peas (Seed) in the back are producing pods. Problem is I keep pulling them off and eating them. I need to behave.

Chives (old plant) is plodding along, never has been a great producer but tastes nice.
Dwarf Beans in the back (Seed) shot up tall then stopped growing. In the last two weeks they have gone nuts again.
Mint (seedling) was getting too big for its britches and casting runners out so it got relegated to a pot on the weekend.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:30 am
Regular Gardner

Bed 3 -
Carrots (seed) starting to show the fuzzy locks. I had to reduce the closness of a couple so I got to ry my first carrot, it was about 30mm long and 1mm thick but tasted very carroty. Yumm.
Tahetian Lime (3.5year old tree from a pot) is plodding along. has not produced fruit yet.
Asparagus (all seedlings) my 2 year old is showing new growth, I then bought 3 new young pups to get going.

Bed 4 -
Zuchini (seed), going great guns with flowers. Actually going better than my seedlings.
Rasberry (canes), looking a bit sad, don't think it has established itself yet.

Cucumber (seed) middle - Going well, went into the ground late so it has a bit of catching up to do.
Eggplant (seed) Left - Early long purple. Going really well. Hopefully flowers soon.
Eggplant (seed) Right - Rosa Bianca (my pride and joy because my daughters name is also bianca), going well after a slow start. these will be very pretty fruit as they are white with a rose strike through them.

My finger lime (in a pot) is also going well and slowliy putting on growth. But I forgot to get a photo.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:39 am
Regular Gardner

I would like some advice if I can though.
Can people please advise me on what the leaves of my plants are trying to tell me.

All soil was a herb and vege mix (10% cow and mushroom compost I think) with a bit a searles kickalong vege mix thrown in. I have got a ph tester but I have not used it. (I would not know what ph to look for really).
It has been really wet here lately too. most beds drain well though.

This is my Zuchini. leaves look splotchy and a bit unhappy.

This is my lime, has always had this white scale on the leaves.

My other zuchinis had tonnes of aphids. how can i get rid of the buggers quick?
I have heard that garlic, soap and oil is the way to go. But it says to keep the plants out of hot sun because the oil can multiply the heat and burn the plants. (bit hard in queensland).

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:46 am
Regular Gardner

Sorry about the spelling by the way. I type in a rush.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am
Green Thumb

zucchini leaves do get pale splotches that are quite normal, or it could be mildew (does it rub off?) If mildew the best solution is to remove the affected leaves, usually the older ones, and avoid splash up from the ground when watering. The thing I would be concerned about is the yellowing edge on the new leaf as that indicated a deficiency due to incorrect ph or missing from your soil. Do test your ph in case it needs adjusting.

that is not scale on your lime leaves but the traces of leaf miner grub. Remove the affected leaves and spray with horticultural oil (early morning to avoid burn) to deter reinfection. The horticultural oil will not kill the existing grub which is why you need to remove the leaves.

for the aphids, knock them of with a hose. A tiny wasp and ladybird beetles are natural predators and I think that you already may have the wasp present (left centre of the photo) in which case it could be that many of those aphids are soon to be dead if not already. They lay their eggs in the aphids and then the larvae eat them from the inside. Both the adult and the larvae ladybirds eat them. The larvae can look a bit like mealy bugs so think twice if you see any while fluffy looking insects on the leaves.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:10 am
Regular Gardner

Cool,
Thanks GuzziGirl.
I will do a PH test and get back to the forum when I can.
I attach the aphids tonight and I checked gardening Australia for a White Oil based hordicultural oil recipe that I will make up.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm
Forum Moderator

Hey Brad those beds are looking like they are going great. :thumbright

If the carrots are growing too close together I found it didnt realy matter much a few would be squashed and small and a few ould be derformed into strange shapes but they still tatse like carrots ;)

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next