View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Wood Fired Pizza Ovens 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Wood Fired Pizza Ovens
The oven display at the Murrumbateman Field Day was DIY Pizza Ovens - which is what we've got.

Ours is the 'Woody', which is the biggest one they make, it's 1.3m long and has a shelf that can be used to make it a double decker. I've found when you use the shelf that the top level gets very smoky. Not that it's a bad thing - I baked two trays of pumpkin up there, and made the most amazing smoked pumpkin soup... :D

We procrastinated for 18 months, then decided to get married at home and have pizza, so we invited everyone... and THEN ordered the oven :roll: it gave us added incentive to get it finished! However, we did end up doing a week of late nights with flood lights, to get it done in time :lol:

This shows the inside..(before we started the fire and burned out the wooden supports - that inner metal frame is then taken out).
Attachment:
Oven5.jpg
Oven5.jpg [ 87.36 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm
Forum Moderator

The one im thinking of was like an outdoor pot belly stove that the dude was cooking pizza and meat on.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm
Site Administrator

Sooooo cool!

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm
Green Thumb

Thats nice!

Didn't see them at the MFD, too busy looking at shiny new tractors

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm
Green Thumb

Expedite wrote:
The one im thinking of was like an outdoor pot belly stove that the dude was cooking pizza and meat on.

Oooh... didn't see that!

We were going to put in a tandoori oven as well - but you can stick a spit down the middle of our pizza oven, which comes close.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

One trick from Turkish pide oven masters.

They firstly collect glass bottles and crush them carefully in very small pieces. They mix this with the clay/sand mix to build the dome on top. The dome is 3 layered, first one is just sand and clay, second is with broken glass mixture and the top is sand and cement.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Having me working near broken glass would end in tears :lol: but sounds like a great idea! Much better to recycle.

Actually, I was struggling to find a good recipe for pide dough but have now got one - the turkish pizzas in this oven are sooo good :twisted: It makes a very wet dough - after kneading, bits of dough are clinging to the walls, the fridge and the ceiling!

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:29 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yes water is the key in Turkish pide dough like 75% and cooking temps are about 250C. It makes it very hard to work with but the taste develops better with that amount of water.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

cwackers - could you post your recipe in the recipe section please? We have tried a couple but not been happy with any of them!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 am
Forum Moderator

QUESTION TIME......I've seen pizza ovens with the flue as part of the oven and included within the main body.... and just recently seen one at bunnings where the flue is actually on the outside of the door .... what would the benefit of that be??

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next