View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
oops I bought another...... 
Forum Moderator

Post oops I bought another......
My daughter has a lovely little bay Australian Riding Pony, and he's such a cuty little guy, but completely overshadowed by the big boofa's so....I bought him a buddy.

This is Majieke Sahara Sunstorm - or Ziggy as we've called him.
ImageImage
4 yo, 12hh Buckskin Pinto Riding Pony.

Poor little fella has had 4 homes already, I think we'll let him stay.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: oops I bought another......
he looks a sweetie :)

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:03 pm
Site Administrator

Oh that is too cute!!!

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Love the olours!

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys, he's settling in nicely.

Just for the record, that is not my horses head on the left in the 2nd photo. I ride my big boy bitless. :)

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm
Green Thumb

Lovely pony! It's a shame they get moved on such a lot. I doubt any animal can reach its potential without a consistent and loving home. Tell us about your routine please- do you ride every day? Are they stabled or put in a paddock- you know just the ordinary daily stuff. Please.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Hi Carole,

Yes it is sad and of course he's been broken in so young and by riders way to heavy, so he need some serious attention to his poor little back. The kids will not be riding him till he's had the vet & chiro and they give us the all clear. In the meantime, they're going to learn about handling him correctly, teaching him manners, working on strengthening exercises and lots of love of course.

Ok the daily stuff.

I am a big believer of horses being kept in as natural an environment as possible. To me this means open grazing space to run and play, variety in grazing, natural shelter and company.

I am in the process of having a round yard built for lunging purposes, so they can be exercised in ways other than riding. At the moment they are all on their winter break. As they are all young and still growing I take them on in an individual basis, so one rests while the other does a few months training, I try to ride 3 - 4 times a week when they are in work. This can be for just 15mins or up to an hour, and riders club twice a month. The ponies will be lunged and long reined once or twice a week so the kids can ride them safely on the weekends and school holidays.

I now have my 2 small ponies together and they will have 3 paddocks that they will rotate between. The padocks vary from 1 acre up to 3 acres, and at times they will be rotated with the larger boys. The bigger 2 have 2 approx 3 acre paddocks which are long and narrow and have plenty of grass. All of my paddocks either have tree's growing within or heavily treed boundries for shelter. Currently I have day paddocks for the horses, which are smaller area's, still with plenty of grazing right now. While I am there they get locked into those area's to be fed, and to have a hang around while I might need to handle them. Still waiting for tie up area's to be built.

ATM I go down to my property every second day, they are all fed a scoop of chaff with their khonkes vitamins some sunflower seeds and cracked lupins. All are good doers so feed is kept to a minimum seeing the grazing is good right now. They also share some hay. The new pony is a little light on so he will get some extra rice bran in his diet. On the day's I am not there, I have a friend drop in and just have a look over them at the end of the day to make sure all is good. My neighbours next door have said they'll call me immediately if there is anything serious to report.

Thats it I think. Any other questions I'm happy to answer.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am
Green Thumb

oh thanks- you put a lot into your reply!
its pretty daunting to take on a pony that's been badly started!! I didnt realise this was the case.
Its such a shame- how could anyone not realise the value of a lovely pony like that? And he has a really unusual colouring hasn't he?

12 hands is not tiny, but he looks so fine and small next to the big guy :lol:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Sorry :oops: hope it wasn't to long winded, but to me that is sort of the everyday stuff to me.

He has fabulous bloodlines too, his sire is a show champion as is his grand sire. I'm yet to track down his breeder, however he did come with his papers, just not registered yet.

He is a lovely buckskin colour and I am hoping with summer and some good feed in his tummy it may darken up just a little.

So many people breed these darling little horses, but the market for them is so small, and they are usually bought and kept for such a short time by families with children, once they are outgrown they're sold on. I got this little fellow for a bargain, so I'm hoping once I've got him back on track and the kids have finished with him, I'll either lease him out to a family with children or keep him as a show prospect myself. Haven't been on the showing scene for a while, but it might give me an interest in a few years once we've got the farm in some sort of order.
Then there is always harness to consider :shock: .

I'm hoping to get some nice photo's of him with our other pony tomorrow so might post them up. :)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm
Green Thumb

Sounds like a plan- and a great thing to be rebalancing such a lovely pony. Good on you!
Your post was not at all long winded I'm very interested (or wouldn't have asked ;) )
I'd love to have daily hands on experience with horses, I love them.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next