View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
What is in your Fencing Repair Kits 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post What is in your Fencing Repair Kits
Okay guys. So we've had our first issue with fencing where our cow and next door's steer decided they wanted to swap paddocks. They managed to snap 1 timber (albeit old and weathered) post and two star picket posts (again, a bit old and rusty) at ground level. Neither of them had a mark on them and the fence and wire is still standing, if a bit wobbly. So. After having to cut barbed wire and get them back into their prospective paddocks (many thanks to our neighbour who actually had his sh*t together), I've decided I NEED to put a Repair Kit together. What are your go to tools in such an occasion as this? Wire cutters I imagine would be first on the list. What else is on your must-have's list?

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Sprout

Post Re: What is in your Fencing Repair Kits
Hey Lyn,Yes, wire cutters, (beware really cheap ones where the cutting blades do not meet properly.... hold them up to the light to check), Wire strainer, 2 pair wire pliers ( One to grip the wire while the other bends the knots). Handful or box of "gripples". If the fence was a little slack and the wire is cut away from a knot, the strainer may be able to pull the wires together enough for the gripple to work. Earlier ( before gripples ) I would need more slack in the fence or insert a section of wire, and tie with a 'figure 8' knot... the simplest/strongest. This take a little practice to do and get tight. The 'double loop' knot is easier to do but has a tendency to break in a shorter time. Check online for method. A bundle of star pickets to replace bent / broken ones. Plain Wire for repair ( Test 200mm from the end and bend with your hands make sure you can ... If unable , it is too high tensile and it will be really difficult to tie, especially for repairs. ( Experience). Minimum basics. If you are looking to buy second hand tools, make sure they are not sloppy in the joints/ (worn out). Cheers Roger

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:56 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

I agree buy good quailty fencing tools or you are wasting your money. My essentials are side cutter pliers, a packet of ratchet strainers a bundle of star pickets (not the chinese cheap ones), a star picket driver and a picket puller. A staple gun and staples (again buy the good quality one).

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

You can't go past good tools!
Nothing worse than trying to cut wire with cutters that don't cut or have nicks in them!

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:49 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks guys :D So quality tools are important. Thanks for that rundown Roger. :D

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]