View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
So what is you very first childhood memory of a pet ? 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post So what is you very first childhood memory of a pet ?
My very first memory of a pet was my grandmothers bulldog called Mitzy. When we went to her house as little kids about 4 - 5 years of age, we used to be left out in the front garden with the bulldog. She used to look after my brother and myself and she would let us ride her etc. Mitzy would not let anyone come near that front fence whilst we were in her charge, the local school kids would have to cross the road the escape her displeasure. From memory they got her as a pup the runt of the little when they both worked up at the Sandy Creek Dog Sanctury ( in SA ) way way back in the early sixties.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: So what is you very first childhood memory of a pet ?
We always had animals around when I was a kid, alot of them I can't remember, but we always had scottish deerhounds around, and I remember them coming running whenever the back door was opened. When you're 4 or 5 and a dog that's taller than you comes running headlong at you, it's pretty terrifying! They never meant to hurt me, though. They really are gentle giants.
I also remember just lying on top them on the lounge, and they never minded.

My first memory of a chook was me carrying around a massive australorp hen that we called 'Black Bitey'. There's an old photo of me carrying her as a toddler, and she's not much smaller than me! I think she was my first proper pet, the dogs I always considered mum and dad's pets until I got older.

Sat May 29, 2010 3:55 pm
Forum Moderator

My first memory was of my aunties cocker spaniels, she had 2 , a golden male called "flash"and a black female "beauty".
They had puppies and I was in the basket actually holding puppies that were only very young.
I thought i was the bees knees!!

Sat May 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Forum Moderator

Our family dog 'Pal'. And that is exactly what he was to me. A kelpie x cocker looking boy, taught me everything I need to know about Canines. I had a relatively unhappy childhood and he was always there by my side. I always seem to have some sort of animal closely bonded to me as varying stages of my life. Currently it is a very odd cat. I have been carrying Chooks around as long as I can remember if there was one nearby, ....usually at my Uncles farm once a fortnight. Bless them all.

Sat May 29, 2010 5:28 pm
Forum Moderator

My Earliest memory of a pet was a cat my parents aqcuired. All I remeber of it was my younger brother not being very nice to it. :?

We did have a dog (labrador) before that but I have no recolection of it. My most significant pet wasnt till late primary school when I had a dog called Miny, a bitsa. I was devestated when she killed a couple of our chooks and my parents got rid of her :cry:

Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 pm
Forum Moderator

I also remember our pet cat.... her real name was blossom but we all called her muffy. I can remember rolling around in laughter when we used to tie a teatowel around her waist and she for some reason could not walk straight ... Was very funny at the time!!

NO ANIMALS WERE HURT WHILST WE DID THIS!!

Sat May 29, 2010 9:27 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Our black Kelpie x Lab called Mandy.She lived 19 years. I was 19 when she died. Devastating is an understatement :cry:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Our bond with our pets is quiet profound!

They certainly become part of us and then when they "check out" they take a part of us with them.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

They sure do, saabman.

I'm not sure what my 'first' memory is, but I remember the first pet that was mine - a little ginger tabby kitten. He was gorgeous, so much fun and very affectionate.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 pm
Site Administrator

My first childhood pet memory is of a bantam rooster called Rastus, he used to come around with me in the pocket of my jumper until he grew feathers, then he would ride around the farm on my shoulder or if i was on a push bike he would balance on the frame while i rode.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next