View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Meet my boy....Slim you might like this one. 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Meet my boy....Slim you might like this one.
I do approve! He's an impressive snake, and very cute! I don't think I've ever met a carpet python.

I've met a diamond python (Lucy), the Canberra Zoo and Aquarium's Olive Python (Olive) and their Boa Constrictor (Betty- I have a friend who runs the zoos tours, and he introduced me to their menagerie), a reeealllly cute yellow morph diamond who was only a couple of days old at my local herpetological supply shop, and I nearly landed on a diamond python in the wild when I was jumping over a stream on a field class at Tumut for uni. I also have regular meetings with our local elapids in the wild, but they are much less exciting (except for the bit where they are bloody venomous!!!). You don't see pythons about as much!

I've looked into getting a snake, but the licensing is very time consuming, and I don't really have the money!!! My little bearded dragon friends will have to do.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:28 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

This forum just gets better and better...

I love reptiles :)

We get quite a few Stimsons pythons trying to make our house home...
Over the warmer months it is not unusual for me to find and remove half a dozen snakes from inside the house... usually all juveniles.

There is also a plethora of other reptilian life around our yard... bobtails, bluetongues, tatas, legless lizards, geckoes, etc... actually, the geckoes live inside the house too... natures own bug zappers :)

Here is the last baby I removed from my daughters bedroom...

cute little babe...

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Slim, post a photo of your bearded dragons one of my fav's. Reptiles are the most sensory experience on earth.

And I simply love gecko's they are just too adorable with their sticky feet and big eyes'.

My friend who lives up in the Noosa hinterland was having trouble with an olive python getting into her chook shed. She decided to let the chooks out and lock the snake in until they had time to move it further away. ;)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure if I have any good photos of the beardies... I'll hunt around and see if I can find them. I might make a thread somewhere and post some of my billions of reptile photos from my work.

We don't much in the way of exciting stuff around here. Our geckoes are few, and mostly nocturnal, and there aren't many pythons.

There are a surprising number of reptiles around, though, even though it gets freezing in winter. Bluetongues, shinglebacks (Maybe what you referred to as bobtails?) and little skinks are the most common, but I regularly see Eastern Bearded Dragons on the roads and up in the bushland opposite my house, eastern longneck turtles, eastern brown snakes, tiger snakes, red bellied black snakes etc etc... and I know Em and Cai's place has a very healthy population of Jacky Dragons.

I have done alot of herpetological work, though, so I tend to look for reptiles (and thanks to the work, I have a bad habit of catching them to get a closer look!!!). My favorites are the Grassland Earless Dragons.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:55 pm
Forum Moderator

Rainbow , you must know all your snakes well to be confident to pick up and remove all snakes ( i would be scared i might pick up a venonmous one) The little stimpson is a cutie pie!

Slim in queensland you require a licence for bearded dragons as well and the same licence is suitable for snakes as well . Is the licencing different where you are :?:

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:58 pm
Forum Moderator

In Canberra there are three categories for licensing- A, B, and C, and each category defines which species you can keep, rising in rarity and difficulty to keep.

Category A species may be kept by people with no prior experience. There are 5 species you can keep in cat. A and do not require a license to keep- eastern long necked turtles, eastern and blotched blue tongues, shinglebacks, and eastern bearded dragons. Then there's cat. B, which requires 2 years experience with a cat. A reptile, and must be 15 years old or over. And for cat. C you need 2 years with a Cat. A species and 1 year with a cat. B species.

I've got a year and a half experience with the beardies, but I don't think I'll apply for a cat. b license after 2 years, because it's an expensive hobby!

EDIT: Rainbow- I just noticed the pictures of the Stimson's Python you put up- very cute!!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:15 pm
Forum Moderator

Oh, found a good picture of my beardies.

On top is Jemima, and below is stumpy, named so because she is missing most of her tail.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 pm
Forum Moderator

Very cute little girls , will you get a male one and breed them :?:

I think our licenceing system is as i wrote i'm only going by what my nephew said, so not 100%

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 pm
Forum Moderator

...I'm not sure if I could handle baby beardies... I think I'd go insane looking after them!!! I have room for a male in my terrarium- the tank is 4 foot long and quite tall and deep, but another mouth to feed at the moment might be a little too much. I'm going insane trying to keep the terrarium at a good temperature at the moment! The downside of keeping reptiles in winter in canberra in a house that resembles greenland in it's temperature.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:40 pm
Forum Moderator

Do you use heat mats or do you have a light :?:

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next