View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
aquarium fish advice 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post aquarium fish advice
Hi there - Does anyone else keep fish? We have a 300 litre tank with African Cichlids. We seem to be unable to resolve an algae on the glass problem at the moment. I'd love to get in touch with others as there must be a biological solution. We do have catfish (3) but they don't seem to be doing their job ....

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 am
Site Administrator

Post Re: aquarium fish advice
Do you have any snails they tend to clean off aligae, I'm not the expert however I think you can take a water sample from your tank to the aquarium place and they help test it.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

You probably need more than 3 catfish, but two other suggestions - make sure you turn the overhead light off at night (you probably do anyway, but some folks like to leave it on as a security light). You will always have an algae problem if the room is very light, especially if sunlight comes in near the tank.

We battled with it for years and solved it by planting heavily with aquatic plants - they've grown high enough to reach between the surface of the water and the light and shade the tank with a softer light. Enough that the tank looks better than before, but not enough light for the algae.

Surface plants like azolla should do the same thing.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Light is the issue for algea. Limite the amount of time the light is on and also try moving the tank if it is an area that gets sun light.

Don't go for snails as they can breed and fish have been know to eat the babies and not be able to digest them and die. They can also clog up your filters.

Cheers
Shayne

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

plants is a good idea, I'll look into that. The problem with plants for us is the fish I'm told will dig them up. Their natural environment, Lake Malawi (Africa) has little plant life. just rocks and sand. I am getting sick of the lack of greenery so did put in plastic ones but not that many. Our living room gets a lot of natural light because it is a solar passive house. We do rely on that to heat the place up during the day. And the light is off at night too. May try switching it off a bit earlier. Will also think about different colour light tubes. I do use the blue light a bit when I have headaches and want to lie next to the tank on the couch.

The thing is that for the first couple of years it was okay. and now we are having the battle.

we have been thinking about switching to tropical which would lend better to plants.

I know all about snails. we were overrun with them when we had tropicals before but the tank was clean.

more later

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:48 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

The professional trick to get plants established in an aquarium is to wrap lead around the stems just above the roots, then bury them as deeply as possible into the medium at the bottom of the tank. To make it even more secure you could try placing large flat lucky stones (water worn river pebbeles) over and around the root area. I know cychlids love to dig, so good luck. Otherwise the azolla or duckweed type of floating weed may be the answer. (Just don't let it get into any waterway).

We gave up on tropicals and now just have goldfish. There are some spectacular varieties, they're hardy and very little trouble to keep and the tank looks as colourful as ever it did, and we're not keeping umpteen litres of water warm 24 hours a day.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:34 pm
Forum Moderator

I tie my plants to rocks with a bit of fishing line.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm
Forum Moderator

How about putting something on the outside of the glass on the end that receive the most sunlight to stop it filtering through (nothing reflective of course). I know you can get those...um interesting looking fake backgrounds...but even just some plain coloured paper/cardboard to do the job.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:19 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

OK I don't keep fish have in the pass but they were baby carp (feeder fish?) I found this on the net I think this is what you could use

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails? ... eapart.com

A....... er...... wow I did know it was so long.

Sorry about that it has video of pleco they are aligea eaters now my husband's duaghter had one and she never took care of the tank I realeased the fish (crap) into the river and she was to take care of the Pleco well the the tank got so dirty with aligea and we figure he was dead I mean the stuff would stick to your finger so she went to emty it out on the burn pile and the fish was still alive now mind you months has gone by many months and this fish was ALIVE AND FAT.

I don't know what happened to him I think she had moved oout after that and she put city water in we have well water and I think that is what killed him I am pretty sure that is what happened if I had a penny (A PENNY) for every time she moved back and forth with us I would have enough for retirement :lol: I hope you can access this long long link if not let me know and I will try agian on another site4 to let you see what kind of fish these are oh and if you can access it you will be in awe of how big these get of course not all get that big I would think.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 pm
Forum Moderator

I think that is amusin that you released the carp!

Here Carp are a noxious? pest and and if caught should not be returned to the water.

We even have fishing competitions for the sole purpose of removing the carp from out rivers and dams.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next