View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Strange pet/animal behaviour 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Strange pet/animal behaviour
LOL that is a little funny :)

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:59 am
Site Administrator

Our two dogs (see the dog pics thread) have decided since moving from suburbia that acting like their own little hunting pack is the way to go. The two of them take off down the front paddock the moment they see a fox, then get slow and crouch like lionesses when they get close, and then they split and corner him by separating. It's amazing to watch.

On the other hand - Millie would like to eat all of the chickens. She has been terrorizing poor Lucky while he tries to get better. It's very annoying because she simply won't back off.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Strange behaviour... hmm.... nope, no idea what you're talking about. My dogs are completely normal. Hopefully the link below will a) work, and b) demonstrate how totally and utterly sensible they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTNH9P3hwI&feature=channel

:p

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:36 am
Site Administrator

:lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Hahaha - thats a great video.

Ours play like that with one another too - although not nearly as gracefully as yours!! :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 pm
Forum Moderator

Very much sighthound behaviour! Our deerhounds used to play like that. Kinda like this video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tj_RPd6caU

Not my dog, but I wish it was!

EDIT: or this one! See? They clear fences!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxZ_CyPvbSA&feature=related

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:31 pm
Sprout

I had an old quarter horse x named Chevy. I han't had her a long time she was my first horse. She was as close to bombproof as they come, quiet as a lamb and not a bad bone in her body. She had once been a stock horse and then a pony clubber and taught a very nervous young man to ride. her previous owners were in tears when I bought her they said she had NEVER hurt anyone, none of the kids ever fell from her she never ever would even dream of bucking, bolting or anything silly. They took their little kids around on her.

My now EX decided he wanted to ride her, bareback around the paddock. He had never ridden a horse and refused to be shown how so he would just jump on (he was way too big for her) and pull her mouth this way and that, kicking the wrong side wobbling all over and he would get mad when she wouldnt go where he wanted. He ignored me when I told him to get off... But Chevy was oh soooo patient and took it in her stride.

It wasnt till things got ugly with me and the ex that her attitude to him changed. It was subtle at first but the nastier he got to me the less tolerant Chevy got of him. 4 year old kids could ride this horse un assisted.... she would move at a snails pace and constantly look around at them. One day I was very upset and told him to stay away from my horse (we were splitting up) and he ignored me and jumped on her and plodded off down the paddock. they got about half way down when Chevy started walking backward ... then sideways and I realised what she was doing... to the left was a big thorny blackberry patch, she got in position ready to buck him off aiming to dump him in the thorny bush. I was in hysterics I couldnt stop laughing but I knew if she did it he would be mad and might hurt her so I yelled out to get off and he did. I would have loved to have seen it though.

They ...know.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 am
Site Administrator

You're right, that would have been very funny.

It's amazing how intuitive animals are - so few people give them credit for it too.

Cai travels a lot with work, and I sometimes, on a bad day, find myself feeling a bit lonely. The few occasions on which this has happened, right at the moment I realise I am feeling a bit lonely, both of our dogs jump up on the couch and proceed to snuggle up and do what I can only describe as an attempt to communicate how much they love me.

Its so gorgeous, like you said...they know.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:51 am
Site Administrator

:lol: I bet you were tempted to let things play out and see what happened :D

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Sprout

Yes but it wouldnt have ended well for the horse.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next