View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
My little dog is very ill again. 
Forum Moderator

Post My little dog is very ill again.
My little dog is dangerously ill...again.

I ended up going formal ( my brothers a doctor so guess im more traditional when things are sick) and have had him at the vets 4 times one of which was for a 4 day stint in hospital.

They placed him on chicken and rice Royal Canine.

3 fecal samples taken (at seperate times whenI keep insisting there is a problem) and sent to Sydney uni.

All no result no problems found with full screen.

Tried yoghurt in food.

Smelly uncontrolled sloppy poops usually three four tablespoons with a viscous teaspoon full of thick blood on top.

Sometimes dark black brown sloppy splats. Dog cannot make it to the door.

Through necessity I have put him on the verandah in a sheepskin cave (he was meant to be my bed dog).

The royal canine made him somewhat better but he is pretty uncontrollable and steals scraps (he has very bad rude manners compared to my whippet).

The breeder has never answered my original or second email asking for help and when I went on facebook he had even removed me from being a friend, never once has he been able to be contacted by me......

This weeknd even worse things have happened. A quarter cup of thick blood and mucous in one splat (genuinely no exageration).

What am I going to do now?????? Hes a lovely loving little guy..... :cry:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: My little dog is very ill again.
That's no good. Poor little tacker and poor you too. I hope they can come up with something. I hope it rights itself or they get to the bottom of it permanently & soon.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm
Green Thumb

Hello

13 years in the dog showing world doesnt make me an expert by any means, but I have heard of this problem and its more common than you think - which is why I am surprised at your vet !!!

Yes diet can play a large part in what happens at the rear end - but not always!!!!
And there needs to be a process of elimination and evaluations to determine the correct investigative path.

I read your entry here and rang a friend of mine who has been breeding small dogs longer than you or I have had hot dinners.

Her recommendations are (since you have had negative stool samples)
1. Remove all dry food from the house.
2. Do not feed the dog any commercial can/dry/bag food at all. Even the vets food.
3. Boil chicken with rice. Half and half mix.
4. Add a small amount of fresh garlic when boiling mix, and she said ‘small’
5. Feed three to four small meals of the chicken each day. Do not let the dog overeat, but ensure that he has enough. Do not starve the dog.
6. Strongly suggested was including raw chicken necks to help keep teeth and ears clean during this time if the dog is a small dog. If a large breed, then meat bones removing all traces of meat before giving it to the dog.
7. Feed this diet over a 2 week period and monitor, even recording in a diary the number of times you see your dog do number 2s and what they look like.
8. If the dog ‘appears’ to be improving after 7 days, then your dog definitely has some type of food allergy which needs to be investigated.
9. If the dog doesn’t appear to be any different after 7 days, then look around the house for anything that could be a cause, even garden fertiliser can be a problem if the dog eats grass regularly and is prone to the allergic reaction. But its time to seek further medical advice that is not related to diet.
10. Do not worm. Many small dogs can react to monthly heartworm meds as well – consider a yearly injection instead if your dog is prone to ‘stomach’ issues.

All dogs in the household should follow this diet to ensure there is strict control in the foods available to the ‘sick’ dog. Changing the diet for all the canines will help you to remove all items of food during the 2 weeks of evaluation.

She also strongly recommended you seek a second/third opinion. BUT only AFTER you have followed the above.
Most vets will tell you to go away and try this diet before carrying out tests. Plus your observations of the dog’s health during this time will assist with background information.

Our recommendations is the Hall vet (Jan) and the Bungendore Vet (Michael) for canine problems that seem to be strange/out of the blue.

Don’t forget to take those stool test results with you when seeking the second opinion – this will also provide good background and information for the new vet, saving both time and money.

Let me know how you go :)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

That's horrible. We have found that the Gundaroo vet is great too.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 am
Forum Moderator

I don't think I can do it..... I have little kids who don't put their plates away 100% of the time.

I have 3 cats and 2 other dogs.

This little dog even follows me to the coops when I bring scraps from the local restaurant and eats the bacon or ham rinds.
One of the other dogs has a food allergy ( St Bernard who can only eat lamb) - its a nightmare. It isnt totally successful as sometimes he gets to forbidden food, but we do our best and it makes his condition manageable. His food allergy results in skin complaints itching scratching and sores. Hes my husbands dog it has cost a fortune.

I dont think I could manage a 2nd food allergy dog in the household.....

Slippery elm someone recommended - is there any chance something like this may work.............. Is this going to be solveable?

If the little dog cant share my life walking around the farm with all my animals and their differnet foods, he may need to be rehomed........To be shut out and not welcome is not a life........

What else should I try or look for.......................

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:24 pm
Forum Moderator

Pleeeease try slippery elm bark powder, I can send you some if you like asap, PM me. Julieann

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Have you tried feeding cat food. As a vet nurse I seen lots of dogs with food intolerances (not saying that this is the case) and sometimes catfood was a simple solution. Cant hurt at this point I dont think.Something mild on the stomach.
I would definatley get a second opinion. I can highly recommend Mt Annan Vet clinic near Campbelltown. Both Kirsty and Steve are exceptional vets (husband and wife team). As they say two brains are better than one.Your little dog would be right up their alley.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

chooksrus wrote:
I don't think I can do it..... I have little kids who don't put their plates away 100% of the time.

I have 3 cats and 2 other dogs.

This little dog even follows me to the coops when I bring scraps from the local restaurant and eats the bacon or ham rinds.
One of the other dogs has a food allergy ( St Bernard who can only eat lamb) - its a nightmare. It isnt totally successful as sometimes he gets to forbidden food, but we do our best and it makes his condition manageable. His food allergy results in skin complaints itching scratching and sores. Hes my husbands dog it has cost a fortune.

Chooksrus try the diet for 2 weeks and be vigilant about it !

It may not even be a food allergy and its no good just assuming etc.

If your dog goes to the coop with you – then lock him out of the coop while you feed scrapes.

The recommended diet is only 2 weeks and will help to provide answers as to what couls be the cause of your dog’s problem so surely you could ensure the kids sit at the table while they eat and then leave their plates on the table when leaving???

Or feed your dog a meal on the veranda while the kids eat inside the house?

What type of dog is he?

And if a herbal remedy is to work, first you should know that it is a food allergy that is the cause.
Also if a remedy was such a simple answer - dont you think parents of children with such allergies would have cottoned onto it????

:hmm

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

There is a difference between food allergies and intollerances. The little dog may have to be locked up for a little while so you can monitor him.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Little dog can go on the 2 week trial diet and still follow you around the farm if you got him a plastic basket muzzle. These allows dogs to pant and drink freely, but it's much harder (although not impossible) for them to eat with them on. You'd still have to keep an eye on him and warn him off any scraps he tries to eat... the muzzle will make it take longer to get anything in his mouth so you will have some time to prevent it.

Example: http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Lightw ... zzle-.html

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next