View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Electronic Dog Fences 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Electronic Dog Fences
They do work on large areas. My Aunt has been using them for years and the dogs do not get out. They are also not cruel. I have been zapped by the collars a few times and it is like an static electric shock. Nothing like an electric fence.

She also has 1.5 meter high fences but the dogs are working dogs so they can jump straight over them. These collars keep them in the home paddock and stop them going to the neighbours and running off after a rabbit.

I think they are a great idea as they allow the dog to always be off the chain or not locked up and you know they are safe in the garden.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

The wire doesnt have to be buried. We have one here if anyone is interested (collar, unit and a few flags). Our "jumping" dog died a number of years ago and it is sitting in its box in the shed. Flags are used to train the dogs and the collar beeps as a warning like Shayne said. We tried everything prior to this and the containment system was the only thing that worked.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

We thought about using it as well, but we saw something in Small Farms Mags for about $2,500 so decided against it, plus now Roxy is a little older she doesn't gone wondering. When we are out, she is confined in her pen.

Crawl or not, I would prefer her there then possibly shot by another farmer. We had one incident when she wondered over the road and was not even in the guys paddock (not livestock either) and he started taking pot shots. We were in our own paddock close to the road trimming our horses feet at the time, and had lost track of her.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:57 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Mine was about $1500 ten years ago.Innotek make it. I am sure they are cheaper now.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Couple of things to be aware of with the 'invisible fence' type systems as discussed here:

States vary as to legality. Regardless of whether someone thinks they are good or not, NSW as mentioned currently considers them illegal and penalties apply to anyone caught using them. Up to someone I guess if they want to abide by the law or not.

The biggest problems with them can occur if you dont also have some kind of physical barrier (eg a normal fence of some kind - even a standard stock fence will do) along with the electronic boundary. Dogs have been known in times of stress or high excitement (such as when scared or giving chase) to run straight through the boundary at speed. Once on the other side, they won't go back through the boundary to go home so may just keep going somewhere else.

The invisible fence also doesnt stop other dogs and animals coming into the dogs area.

Given that dogs generally sleep most of the day, the most effective means of ensuring the dogs (and stock etc) are safe while you are not there to supervise is penning in a dog run. Provided the dog is given plenty of time out of the run when you are home, they are a great method of containment and not too expensive to construct (you can get ready made dog pens reasonably cheap from online stores such as vebopet, or in Canberra, Metalmart in Fyshwick makes very strong galvanised run panels (I use these myself and recommend them). Col Wetern Sheds also make some useful dog runs with shelters attached.)

HTH

Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs- "Putting the Breed before breeding"

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I cant find any info on NSW law that states the dog containment system is illegal.Sometimes google is easy lol.
In my opinion it isnt any more cruel that a chain or yard. My dog had freedom he never had before.If it wasnt for the system he would have been in a pen full time. As soon as I looked away he was out. A big ridgeback mastiff running down the road was never good no matter how friendly he was.Costly too that red bugger,I loved that dog :(
All I could find is my local council recommending them.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

We fenced off the cabin area but still found one of our little terriers could get out when she wanted – but couldn’t get back in.
She used the fence stays in the corners to help her out.

We ended up running the white tape around the outside, top part of the fence where we knew she was placing her feet to squeeze out between the wires.

Worked a treat and it was the cheapest solution we could find at the time with little effort to install. It runs on 6 D batteries.

The batteries ran out months ago – but she hasn’t tried to challenge it since it was first installed.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Sprout

I have also been considering this option for my dogs who are chook obsessed. I am concerned that once we move to our rural property that they will advance to being sheep and horse obsessed! I would much prefer this as an option than having them kill my other animals and potentially others as well. Some times RSPCA go too far and should be looking for the real problems.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 pm
Site Administrator

I agree, I heard a story from an old time farmer and by no means endorse this method but he used to get a bit of plastic and pop a dead chicken on it then hook up the electric fence generator to the chicken so when the dog grabs it it gets a zap.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2