View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Help ..... My dog is sick 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Help ..... My dog is sick
Happy to send out Milk kefir grains for nothing. Once done, contains over 30+ good gut building probiotic bacteria strains.

Takes 24 hours and you can give it to humans, chooks, dogs.. you name it.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:35 pm
Forum Moderator

This is Fantastic advice about Yakult..... I will buy him (Konrad) some and pop it on the chook and rice.
Hes better than he was but the problem still exists, soft runny poos, smelly noisey .arts and a noisey tummy groaning.

I am soooooo disappointed the owner never answered my email......

I am going to the vet on Tues to have him neutered (will this keep him a bit less barky?)
One problem is he is a lovely dog - but has very bad 'pack' feeding attitude, grabbing, jumping, hurriedly eating.
He is my second dog the other being a whippet (exactly the same size, as the whippet is a girl 'Holly'). Holly is just so good, even tempwered and wonderfully loyal and loving but if I remember rightly was an absolutel pain when a puppy.......
The Iggy was 7 mths old when I got him so I guess he is about 12 mths now..

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:16 pm
Forum Moderator

To Lintonpair

Happy to send out Milk kefir grains for nothing. Once done, contains over 30+ good gut building probiotic bacteria strains.

Takes 24 hours and you can give it to humans, chooks, dogs.. you name it.

How does it work what do I do with the grains it sounds fabulous! Thank you for the offer!!! much appreciated.....

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:18 pm
Site Administrator

Pleasure. But other posters are right - the more cultures the better. I was just thinking that it would be a great easy place to start. The kefir grains are probably the best version.

How is the dog now? Its awful when your pets are sick. I have an injured horse at the moment (getting better now) but is not nice to watch them in pain.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 am
Green Thumb

We use a powder for any of our animals that are not feeling great, an actually give it to the horses on a daily basis. All the recommended measurements are on the back of the container.

For Roxy we only put in a couple of grams.

http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod233.htm

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:13 am
Forum Moderator

All is not well,

Been to the vet twice now - last stay was 4 days after saw blood comeing from bottom - brought him home today. They took a fecal sample. But they saw no blood in it and it was firm.
No good though within an hr was diahoerrea again... But not blood.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm
Regular Gardner

Hi, dunno if this helps, but I recently got a new puppy. She was taken straight from the breast to cows milk, and had the runs in the car on the way home. I fed her rice water as soon as we arrived, and got some animalac from the produce barn the next day.

For the next week I made her a mix of cooked brown rice (1/2 cup), steamed shelled peas(1 tablespoon), steamed grated sweet potato (1 tablespoon), chopped steamed chicken livers (1 cup), softened cracked linseed (1 teaspoon), grated apple (1 tablespoon), softened cracked chia seed (1 teaspoon), chopped parsley (1 teaspoon) and 1 cup of warmed animalac. This was enough for 1 day (24 hours), and I fed her small amounts throughout the day and into the night until it was finished. Make it up fresh, daily. I used a mortar and pestle to crack the seeds. Now she is on royal canin puppy kibble.

I only feed my dogs dry food, and don't over feed. It may seem like a small amount (the recommended intake), but soak this in water and see how it swells.... it's plenty.

I refuse to use tinned food or dog roll. With the bleeding, I don't know, and can only think of herbal remedies for humans. Offer lots of fresh water, too.

For Juno, I also give her a large oxtail bone to nibble on. This is to teach her not to guts it, and I have had to be very firm with her when she is eating. Strong commands, "Slow down!", and stroking her back. I noticed she slows down if I add small amounts, teaspoon by teaspoon to the bowl, and this has also reduced her instinct to growl at me when I am close to her when she is eating. I am showing her she can trust that I am not taking away the food, but offering more. She was a gutser too. I hope this may hep your dog.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:30 am
Forum Moderator

CHRUS- my dog also used to get bleeding when really bad, and I can't recommend the slippery elm bark powder strongly enough. It really gets a quick hold on things and settles the inflamation right down.

I know everyone including me has been saying chicken and rice, but guess what...my dog actually had built up an intollerance to chicken & thast is what casued the bleeding. She now eats kangaroo with a little beef, but you would have to change over slowly.

It's hard to know what to do when everyone is suggesting different diets and the problem is digestive related. But if what your feeding currently is having an adverse effect it is better to gradually change over 4 days - 1st day 1/4 new food, 2nd day 1/2 new food and so on with the focus being more on the well cooked veg & rice.

Good luck.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:53 am
Sprout

I think it would be best to cut out any veggies at the moment. Dogs cannot digest the cellulose in vegetables, thats why you need to cook them or blitz them in a food processor for dogs to be able to access the nutrients. There is too much fiber in veg pushing the food through your dogs digestive system. Also the white rice is good. but dont rinse it only strain off the water, that white gloopy stuff is the stuff that will help line and sooth your dogs bowls and tummy. And you must absolutley get some slippery elm. That stuff is the bomb. I use tablets, my dogs scarf them down cause they think they are getting a little treat. For probiotics you need plain unsweetened and unflavored yohgurt. You know real stuff, not the crap with all the added fruit and sugar. Also you may wish to consider an electralite replace ment for your pooch. If the runns are that bad and been going on for so long it could be an issue. You can find ones especially for dogs online or Im sure a large pet store or feed store would have some. I would suggest next time your dog has the runns collect your own sample to take to the vet. Just a thought, you do know dogs get cocci too. Good luck, its so frustrating when your pets are sick, if only they could talk and tell you where it hurts it would be so much easier.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 am
Sprout

p.s. i forgot, serve the rice warm not cold. when cold the starch in rice becomes resistant and acts in the same way as fibre.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2