View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Help ..... My dog is sick 
Forum Moderator

Post Help ..... My dog is sick
OK folks I have adopted an adult 10 mth old Italian Greyhound (miniature).
He is graceful and superb....
He sometimes has the runs (a spell on it lasting 4 days) and rarely perhaps once every three weeks he vomits (always cat biccies when he yaks).....
He is a real guts eats too fast and everything and even probably bad stuff like donkey poo etc
The immediate problem right now is he is in one of these bouts.
What can I cook which will stop the stools from being runny and indeed be easy for the little dog to keep down.
I am looking for ideas like boiled chicken and rice ......
I have contacted the breeder yesterday but no response probably due to Christmas. I asked him when I collected the doggy and there didnt seem any special requirements at all. What types of food are gentle on a doggie belly :?

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:13 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Help ..... My dog is sick
You could try giving him Probiotics.

When Roxy was young and she has something she shouldn't have we would just put a little in her water and she would be right within 24 hours.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:25 am
Green Thumb

take him to a vet?

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 am
Forum Moderator

Gentle foods are cooked chicken and rice as you said & dogs do not need variety when unwell.

I also have a dog with chronic tummy problems (sensitivities) and when she gets on a roll I give her some slippery elm bark powder. You mix it with water, it has a really yucky consistency and it is a little difficult to get down their throat ( unless she's a really guts and loves it). It puts a lining on their stomach and soothes the inflamation. Available from health food stores, you can't overdose either. :thumbright

PS Italian greyhounds are one of my fav's.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:13 am
Forum Moderator

If he continues to be sick in the 3 days after when my vet reopens will take him ......
I like the bark powder idea - so it coated the stomach???
What are probiotics - is that like Inner Heath Plus or are their specific dog ones???
Ive got him on the chook and rice luckily he eats anything I hasve put the food in a room which is protected and quiet so he doesnt wolf it down......

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:38 pm
Forum Moderator

to prevent your dog scoffing food down just give in small quanitities several times daily instead of 1 large meal.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm
Forum Moderator

The slippery elm bark powder mixes up to a mucous like consistency, I have mixed it with a little honey (also an anti-inflamitory) to make it a bit more palatable to the dog. That failing it's a large syringe. It creates a smooth lining over the stomach and I have had instant results every time I use it. Unfortunately now my dog smells it coming a mile away. 1 bag lasts a long time, but it the beauty is it is natural, harmless & no side effects.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:26 pm
Green Thumb

hOW IS HE NOW ?

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 am
Site Administrator

I would say the best way to give probiotics to a dog would be Yakult - you can buy it in the fridge section of grocery shops - its in little bottles and its a bit like milk. You could just put it on the chicken and rice and he wouldn't even notice. They basically bump up the good bacteria in the system. Great for humans too.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 am
Forum Moderator

Yukult would be easy to give I agree, & a good start if you get the results. Great idea Em.
I think dogs may need more than just the two main ones (A&B) due to the variety and nature of what they will get the teeth into. I found this...

When you purchase these human supplements for dogs, look for acidophilus mixtures with at least one of the following ingredients: L. Acidophilus, L. Bulgaricus, B. Bifidum and B. Longum. Some probiotic supplements are sold in the refrigerated sections of stores; keep these products in your refrigerator at home to preserve the freshness.

Or in other words a more complete probiotic. I have used these with success too, both on myself and the dog.

Still I'd love to hear how the pups doing now. and a photo too, I so love Italian GH's.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next