View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Training Pups to NOT chase the Chooks 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Training Pups to NOT chase the Chooks
Since I'm new to puppies and the training involved, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how I train the Pups to not chase the chickens. We had an encounter yesterday. They didn't seem aggressive, just excitedly (is there such a word LOL) curious but I don't want it to escalate into a bloodbath. Any tips?

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: Training Pups to NOT chase the Chooks
the main thing to remember with dogs, is that they are dogs not humans! They are pack animals and will submit to the top dog - you. A common mistake when a dog is agitated or excited is for people to make a fuss but this reinforces the behaviour as it tells them that that behaviour is acceptable. Try familiarising them while on a leash. If they start showing an interest in the chooks then a firm "NO" and a twitch on the lead so that their attention is always on you. Hopefully they will quickly learn that the chooks are no go.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:43 am
Sprout

I knew a guy whose dog killed his chickens. Next time he got a German Shepard and wanted to make sure it would not kill the chickens- ever. He put a lot of effort into training the dog and the chickens. The dog loved the chickens and the chickens were used to the dog and the dog would pick them up in his mouth and carry them around. The chickens never minded. One day he went visiting friends who had chickens. While they were inside they heard the chickens going off in the yard. The chicken loving dog had tried to pick up a strange chicken who had not learnt to love dogs. The chicken owner was furious as two chicken had died of fright, one of which was being carried around in the dogs mouth. The dog was very puzzled by the panicking chickens and pleased that one was relaxed enough to be carried! He brought the dead chicken over and the dog owner had a bit of explaining to do- He said it was the chicken s own fault because the dog never hurt them. Hmmm trained dogs and chickens not sure about that

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:57 pm
Site Administrator

I would take the dog into the chicken pens on a leash. Reward the dog for good behaviour and chastise it if it gets too aggressive with the chickens. I wouldn't get the dog in trouble for being interested though - just stay alert, let the dog have a sniff etc, if it gets too excited calm it down and tell it to be gentle, then try again. Make it okay to sniff the chickens and be close to them etc, but the second the dog gets over excited or rough get it in trouble. Do this in small steps - remember it will be exciting and stimulating for the dog, and you need to be careful of asking the dog for more than it can give you, especially if its a puppy.

Honestly though - I would never leave even a trained dog with chickens unsupervised. You're just asking for heartache that way! We've lost several chickens to our dogs and its not very nice.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:38 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I just took the easier option and built a fence that the dogs couldn't get through.
Keeps them off the vegie patch and away from the chickens.

"Only A Biker Knows Why A Dog Sticks His Head Out Of A Car Window."

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks for your suggestions everyone :D I think I'll be doing some more fencing if this rain ever stops. The chooks do tend to escape out into the yard, hence the drama the other day. Hopefully when the pups get older the chooks will become old news and they'll ignore them.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

We have our dogs wandering freely with the chooks

We start with dogs chained up at there kennels and let the chooks out - the chooks love the dog food so head over to tsee what scraps they can get off the dogs.

The chooks can get away if the dog tries to chase. It doesn't take long for the dogs to get the idea.

It's quiet common to see the dogs lying in their kennels and a chook sitting on top or for them to be eating out of the same bowl.

We did have a problem with one dog getting a chook while it was tied up a severe reprimand sorted the dog out - the chook survived missing a few feathers.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]