View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Bathurst Burr 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Bathurst Burr
Have just discovered a small stand of this (about 20 plants) in one of the paddocks. It was suggested that it is better to dig it out than poison it.

Comments?

I've also found a smattering of briar roses, too.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: Bathurst Burr
Gee sounds like your place has a regular spread of weeds to keep you busy!
I've not encountered bathurst burr but digging out is always a good way to start & if you only have a small stand then its certainly easier now that later.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

It is really nasty stuff with vicious stems and seed pods. The sort of thing you want to stad off ans use napalm!

Unfortunately, that's what happens when here is no attempt to on troll weeds for a couple of years. At least I've don the rounds on the quad bike and have a fair idea what's about - including about 20cm of star picket sticking out of the ground in the middle of a paddock. Just glad I spotted it before I ran into it. It old have been cleared by the bike but could have been interesting if I hit it with a wheel.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

spray the burr and bair with graz-on or brush off

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks, BH.

I'll give that a go!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Hitting the star picket BF would have been pretty nasty :shock:

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm
Sprout

for the sake of 20 burr id be chipping them out, putting them on the ute, trailer, and getting rid of them! put them some place they can be burnt later in the season.
I know a fellow who had to have 500 acres sprayed by a chopper at a cost of 65 dollars an acre plus chemical, because he was too lazy to deal with his bathurst burr when he only had a few!...
if the seed pod has already developed at all then its too late to spray. Also, be careful when chipping that you dont knock too many seed pods onto the ground, otherwise next year you will be chipping 200 not 20.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

We do the same as you, hellocharlie - chip out, on the trailer, down to the local tip's weed site where it will be killed with fire!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]