View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sex Linked Matings 
Site Administrator

Post Sex Linked Matings
To get chickens that are sex linked so that males and females are easily recognisable at day old it falls into four groups.
Group 1
This is the classic gold/silver cross. Mating a gold male such as Rhode Island Red, Buff Rock, Buff Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Red or Buff Sussex to hens which are silver, such as Light Sussex, Light Brahma or pure White Wyandotte, results in all the cockerel (male) chicks having whitish grey or pale brown down, whereas the pullets (females) have reddish-brown or buff down.

Group 2
Uses the hens mentioned above with black red type males like Old English or Modern Game, Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Dark Cornish or Barnevelders giving very similar results, except the female chicks have brown stripes and markings. The male chicks have a lighter greyish colour with black and grey markings.

Group 3
Involves non-barred males such as Australorp, Black Leghorn, Rhode Island Red or Ancona mated with barred females such as Plymouth Rocks or Cuckoo Leghorns. The resulting chicks are all black or dark brown with varying degrees of white underneath, however whereas the females have dark brown or black heads, the males all carry a whitish spot on the back of their heads.

Group 4
This relies on leg colour to determine the sex of the chicks, but as leg colour is not always clearly defined in day old chicks, it is not as reliable as the above methods. Mating dark legged males such as Silkies, Minorcas or Campines to females with light shanks such as Sussex, Leghorns or Wyandottes gives male chicks with pale legs and female chicks with dark legs.

The information for this was taken from.
http://www.users.on.net/~greggles/sexing.html

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Autosexing chicks
I find with our birds that I just wait till they are about five days old and you can tell from the feather development of the tail. Pullets will have a defined tail growing and the cockerels will have no tail feather development. It works for pure bred birds and cross bred birds equally.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am
Forum Moderator

So If I have an Austalorp hen and a Light sussex Hen Ill get?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm
Forum Moderator

:lol: :lol:

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:58 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I can do that without breeding crossbreds.
Double laced Gold Barnevelders and Silver laced Barnevelders.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Gizzy wrote:
lesbihens ;)

:clap

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:56 pm
Sprout

Heya all, Regarding the Auto sexing....we have been hatching isa brown chicks, from isa brown hens and an isa brown rooster (not the secret cross way) and we are finding that all the boys are born white(yellow), and all the gals are red with stripes.
I am told they they are not true isa browns because isa browns are developed using a special recipee, that only a few people know the ingredients....But we will grow these up and let you all know if they lay as well.

Attachments:
isa's.JPG
isa's.JPG [ 98.38 KiB | Viewed 3465 times ]
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 am
Sprout

these crosses are sex-linked not auto-sexing, an auto sexing bird is a breed that breeds true to type (ie legbar, roadebar, hambar, welbar etc)

t-race wrote:
Heya all, Regarding the Auto sexing....we have been hatching isa brown chicks, from isa brown hens and an isa brown rooster (not the secret cross way) and we are finding that all the boys are born white(yellow), and all the gals are red with stripes.
I am told they they are not true isa browns because isa browns are developed using a special recipee, that only a few people know the ingredients....But we will grow these up and let you all know if they lay as well.

they would'nt be isa browns, just a bird that looks like an isa, so sould not be called an isa brown. this happens a lot and when people see a light brown bird with a bit of white they call them isa's.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:01 pm
Forum Moderator

I watch carefully my breeds and try to guess recording my reason for guessing and then pop on a blue or pink chick ring. Ive worked out sexing for a couple of my breeds..... Has anyone worked out sexing for welsummer chickie babes??? I only started this yr with this breed.......... :lolb

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:39 am
Forum Moderator

There are some great internet sites on sexing welsummers, but from my cross bred clutch I have found it to be true that the girls have a distinct very clearly outlined triangle on their head and very long cleopatra eyeliner, and the boys head markings are less distinct with a shorter eyeliner or even just a dot. Mine are 3 weeks old now and I still feel I'm on the right track with them.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/welsummer/chicken/110

Try this one for starters.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next