View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
DUCKS EATING ASH FROM THE BONFIRE 
Regular Gardner

Post DUCKS EATING ASH FROM THE BONFIRE
Hi There to all
I have a bit of a trick question.
I have a mixed batch of duckies ranging from Indian Runners, Saxony/Mallard crosses, pure Mallard boys, a Pure White Pekin girl, and Khaki Campbells.
I have two Indian Runner girls in particular (none of the other ducks do this) who, whenever and as soon as they get out of the duckie shed head straight for the Bonfire pile where we burn't off the trees we pruned and spend their time eating the cold ash from the fire. :o
I am thinking they are lacking something but if that is the case why aren't the other ducks doing the same thing.
All my birds are very well fed and cared for with access to lucerne, clover a god mix of cracked wheat, layer pellets and the addition of any extra goodies we can give them...
Any theories as they just scoff it :scratch and I am wondering if Mother Nature is saying they are lacking something????
Thank You in advance for any info
Heather

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:19 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: DUCKS EATING ASH FROM THE BONFIRE
Maybe they like their treats well done ?????? :lol:

Ducks are little weirdees sometimes - which makes them fun to have around :D

It is obviously not causing any discomfort to their digestive system, and if there were no poisonous branches burnt, I would just look, say under my breath 'you little weirdos' and walk away :)

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Post Re: DUCKS EATING ASH FROM THE BONFIRE
Hi Lindon
Thanks for your response....
My sons name is Lyndon.
I think your right on that note....
They do some wierd stuff but it's insane how fast she goes as soon as they are let out, she heads straight for the one spot.
Nothing toxic in it but I was just concerned that she was lacking something but if that was the case they would all be into it.
We still have some youngsters from my trial hatch (sold most of them) that are now about 12 weeks and healthy and strong....
So I doubt that the adults were lacking anything, I hatched 18 out of 20 or so.
Heather

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]