View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Pekin Ducklings 
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Pekin Ducklings
Hi There Again
I went to get mother duck off the nest this morning and give her and her three babies a swim in the shell pool while I cleaned out her brooder cage.
They have a very large plastic bowl big enough for them to all have a paddle in but thought they need a big paddle.
Low and behold she had one egg left and it was pipping out, so that made my day....
After yesterdays incident where I came out to the pens and found one of my Dark Barred Plymouth Rocks had been crushed by the gate that we are about to attach to the bottom of the pen into the yard for the "Bordello".
Where we put our selected hens and rooster's in for breeding.
I said to Hubby 'I don't think we will buy a lottery ticket this week"
What a freak accident.
It was placed in a spot where they couldn't get behind it.
It was blowing a gail here yesterday and the only thing I can think of is she just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
Just had to be a purebred hen DAMMITT.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Oh congratulations with the ducklings :cheersarm It is a great feeling when they can hatch and raise young successfully.

But I am sorry to hear about your Plymouth rock hen :-( How devastating! It's just a freak accident that you wouldn't normally think would happen.

I made a terrible mistake once where I put a bowl of water in my incubator to up the humidity and without the right knowledge (I am new to this) and simply not even using my brain (I kick myself as it really should be common sense, stupid me!) I lost two croad langshan chicks as they drowned in the water over night after hatching out. :cry: I was mortified! But I will make sure that never happens again!

Good luck with the ducklings. Have you got any pics you could post up in the photo section? :) I just love seeing them when they are tiny little fluff balls! They are the cutest things!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 am
Regular Gardner

Hi There Chookie
I will have to get too and work out how to put up pics on this forum, I am pretty cluey but have never gotten around to putting up pics. I am sure it's not hard.
Yes! Mother Luck is not kind at times.
I had a purebred Barnie boy that got his leg caught in the perch ( a very small bit of branch about 1 1/2 inches long) that was sticking out, he was still alive in the morning but I had to destroy him.
The ducks grow so fast they are like time camera's.
One is obviously a Male White Indian Runner he is really upright and big.
The other two are interesting, dark brown almost black and black legs. I will be posting pics of these as they have me miffed.

My chicks are in the office eating like chaff cutters they never stop.
Both incubators are now full and I have some very special little surprizes in this batch.
I will keep everyone informed.
I have hatched heaps of chicks and have been caught out at times with chicks pipping out early, so now when they are near their last 4 days I put them into the manual hatching incubator on paper towel and even if I know I have to turn a few manually that's fine.
Heather

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2