View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Different Waterfowl Breeds 
Site Administrator

Post Re: Different Waterfowl Breeds
Good at this stage we have chickens in the wood box....no not little fluffy ones its a mature rooster that crows at 4am :lol:

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

now that would test anyones patience !! :lol:

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 pm
Regular Gardner

Hi there
I have to admit we had geese on the farm when I was "younger" (and dont ask how long ago that was)
and its true.
They dont take any "garbage" (that being the polite word) from anything or anyone much at all.
I have to say that if my blue cattle dog or our jack russell even looked sideways at our pullets or littlies or the adults, they wouldnt be here.
Zoe and Wiggles are quite happy to wander around whilst I feed up the chookies and have a great old time and dont even think about having a go at the family additions.
I have always loved any water fowl whether it be geese or ducks.
But when I saw the chinese geese I was a gonner.
We are trying to get a damn sunk soon on our 5 acres and have asked that the excess dirt dug out be piled up into an island in the middle so I can set a nesting area up for my future floaties whatever they may be.
I love the appleyards, the french lavenders and I discovered "rhouens" last week if anyone knows where I can access a couple. They will have one wing clipped to restrict their flight. My 5 acres is fully fenced with chicken netting.
Not worried about show quality just love the therapy that chickens and duckies etc. can provide..
Nothing better at the end of the day watching our birdies with Wozza and a cold ale in the evenings. :C
If you want a gaurd dog with feathers, get a goose.
Cant be charged with having a savage dog and you dont have to take it for a walkies.
But hey? in saying that there is a cute flick on u-tube showing a goose in a park who had attached itself to an old man who walked everyday on his own (sad) and the goose decided to join him.
Dont underestimate their intelligence.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:28 pm
Green Thumb

My friend gave us three geese last week, the male and older female are pilgrim, and her last gosling which is grey and white? I'm not sure if she's a he or he's a she. They've settled in nicely, although the male will try and mount me or my husband, so I think he's a little confused! :lol:

We walk them down to the dam in the morning, and they've taken to flying most of the way there. Coming in at night is harder, as they want to keep swimming, but they're learning :)

Unfortunately, our other pilgrim gander disappeared the day before we released these guys, I'm afraid a fox has got him :(

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm
Sprout

We breed Blue Swedish, great layers, good table bird, not easy to breed true to standard, but who doesn't love a challenge, especially one so cute!
One of my latest hatchings......

Attachments:
b.jpg
b.jpg [ 181.58 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4