View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Duck Herbs 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Duck Herbs
Hi there everyone. Well the babies are settling in nicely and I've already lost my heart to them all LOL! Hubby and the kids have named them. The larger one (which I think is a boy) is called Optimus (as in Transformer), the medium one is Bumblebee and the littlest is Jazz.

Anyway, as I do, I was wondering about what I should be growing in the way of herbs, etc that they will enjoy nibbling at. I've had no luck googling as apparently the words herbs and duck = roast duck! :shock: Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: Duck Herbs
mustard and cress are very quick to sprout and they love them- anything that can develop a seed head quickly such as chickweed, buckwheat and thistle too are very good. Most of these 'herbs' are not considered garden plants by most but all provide magnesium and calcium (and are great in frittata or with pasta too). Dandelion , comfrey , echinacea are all exceptional for poultry immune system.But you will find that the ducklings will grow quickly and forage what takes thier fancy anyway.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks Carole! I have a little area under the oak tree that I have some comfrey, catnip, wormwood, lavender, etc and I was wanting to see what else I could grow for them to forage in when they're older. I'm hoping to have an area that they can all nibble in if it takes their fancy. Providing the chooks don't destroy the place! They've already undermined a few of the plants there that are hanging on by a few roots LOL! I need to put some logs/rocks around the bases I think. More work. Just wish this humidity would bugger off. Bring on Winter I say (although I'm sure you're not so fond of Winter down there in Canberra :D).

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

When I had ducks they used to keep their forage area barren. If I was able to keep them now I would have two forage areas so one could be closed off and rejuvenating whilst they stripped the other. I used to free range them on the lawn as well because they found lots of insects in there. I have a reasonable shaded area of sir Walter buffalo grass that grows tall and tender quite quickly. The ducks used to like it in there and the chooks still do, eating the grass as well. Ducks will eat all sorts of greenery that you wouldn't expect them to (leaves off the lemon tree) so if you do give them free range - keep an eye on plants that are precious. At best they will keep them pruned, at worst they will eat them down to stubble :D
And they are so entertaining through it all!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]