View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Duck Newbie 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Duck Newbie
Hi there everyone. I've been thinking about getting some ducks for AGES now and am only just getting around to it. I've inquired via email to a local who is selling pekin ducklings so I'm still waiting on info.

However, the following questions are buzzing around my brain:
Should I get Males or Females? Not looking at breeding, just want them as pets really.

Do female ducks need a drake around?
Do drakes get aggressive? (The rooster already has the kids hopping so I don't want a drake to be after them as well LOL).

They will be in a large run with the Chooks & Rooster (a good 600sqm area). I know i have to get a pond up and running for them and a little shelter, but is there anything specific I should know before diving into Duck ownership?

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Duck Newbie
if they are all runing together, the drake and rooster may fight, drakes can be agressive, mine chases everyone, he is kept away with a rake most days.
the rooster may decide to mount the ducks, if he can catch them.
if you have chickens with a hen, the ducks will try to eat them, they look like mice.

my 2 cents, however, i love my ducks and mostly they get on well the chooks, (sharing a yard, not pens) my drake tried to eat the 4 week old chickens yesterday and i nearly fell over watching the hen chase him off :lol: mum is a japanese bantam. :shock:
have fun :D they will make life interesting.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:39 pm
Green Thumb

the benefit of getting females is that you will have yummy eggs as well. I have a drake with two ducks and do not have any aggression problems. I also have bantam chickens with a rooster and sometimes the two males will have a bit of a go but nothing serious. I keep the ducks and chooks penned separately at night but they run freely in the yard together during the day. A big pond is not essential to domestic ducks although they do enjoy something big enough to bathe and splash around in. I currently have half a clam shell from the toy shop for mine. The dirty water can be used on the garden. The essential thing is that the ducks have water deep enough for them to dunk their head in to clean their beaks and eyes.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks Guzzigirl :D Well, we've done the deed. Picked up 3 Peckin Ducklings today. No idea what we got but they're damn cute :D Also got 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Australorp chicks. Poor things are being loved to death by the kids.

Bit nervous about caring for them and getting the heating right but we'll see how we go.

We did the mad run around and picked up a little A frame coup from the hardware and some poultry crumbles/water dispenser from the produce store. Found a clam shell paddle pool too at Kmart. So I think we have all we need for the time being. Hubby bought home a lamp from the hardware. Not sure if it will be warm enough yet. Thinking I may give them a hot water bottle before I go to bed???

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Just thought I'd post a few pics of the Babies. ATM I'm calling them Hewi, Dewi & Loui LOL! No idea if they're male or female.

Image Image
Image Image

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

awww, adorable, nothing says cute like a baby duck :sunny

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 pm
Forum Moderator

Oh just too cute, love that little 3 in a row shot. They look like they're enjoying their swim too.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I know! They're divine aren't they?? :D Hoping to have them share the run with the chooks eventually but I'll set up a night yard for them so they're not in the Hen house. Lots of work and planning to do yet.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Now that you have ducks you may not watch TV for awhile. They are sooooo entertaining and yes, definitely cute.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]