View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
looking for new ducklings- any breed 
Green Thumb

Post looking for new ducklings- any breed
You have met Duck duck in the Tale of Two Ducklings- well she has grown to be a lovely blue grey and white muscovey duck. Laid a clutch of eggs suddenly in november and suprisingly started sitting. ;) I explained to her that as she had no husband and was still a teenager herself, she should not think about trying to hatch eggs as yet (can muscoveys mate with wild ducks??? :? ). she would not listen and has doggedly sat warming her brood.
So i replaced her (probably)infertile eggs for some (indian runner) eggs i swapped in town- they can't have been fertile-one by one they have disappeared (shingle backs I think :roll: ) or this past week exploded :shock: - still she patiently sits......she seems happy- is eating everything I leave for her and once a day waddles down to the dam for a swim then returns up the hill so fast she trips herself up; :lol: quaking insanely all the way until she sees her nest again and calmly preens and turns the eggs and settles down again.
We are down to a single egg :silent and Ducky Duck can not be enticed to return to her carefree life.... I think she has been sitting for close to 6 weeks now.....

Does anyone have any ducklings- the younger the better- that i can slip under her one night very soon?
she deserves to be rewarded for her patience and resilience.
I have a preference for muscovey or swedish but honestly any little fluffy duck will do. Happy to swap with chicks or pullets if you can assist- have 8 breeds of chook right now; but of course can not put chicks under a duck- she will drown them......

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: looking for new ducklings- any breed
Aww what a cute story she sounds like she's desperate to become a teenage mum!
I saw someone in sutton on allclassifeds advertising saxony ducklings a couple of days ago
http://www.allclassifieds.com.au/ac/dis ... =123251660
Also someone advertising muscovy ducklings too :)
Hopefully your duck's dream comes true!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

thanks Cai :cheersarm

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Pleasure hope you have some success :)

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

managed to find a day old muscovey duckling for her. only one-that will do -I have so many other ducks and chooks too!
she was tapping on the window to show me the next day and - I swear- she was laughing!!!! :lol:
will post a picture when i can

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

What an endearing story Carole, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see :D

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Aww .. how gorgeous Carol! Can't wait to see some pics. She must feel very satisfied now. Sounds like she'll be a good, patient mum LOL!

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Carole wrote:
managed to find a day old muscovey duckling for her. only one-that will do -I have so many other ducks and chooks too!
she was tapping on the window to show me the next day and - I swear- she was laughing!!!! :lol:
will post a picture when i can

no doubt saying, "and you said I couldn't do it!" :lol:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 am
Sprout

Oh.... Carole, I really should get on here more often, had heaps of Blue Swedish babies early in the New Year, that sold incredibly quick. If you would like some in spring let me know, hope you are well! Lisa

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Have been meaning to add a photo of ducky duck for a while now- her "baby" is doing well and she has started laying like mad again- so will have to seek out another duckling soon as she starts to sit i think!!!! and find her a mate. Can muscovey breed with wild ducks? I see the rooster has an unhealthy interest in her.......weird farmyard.....

Attachments:
duckie duck and her baby.jpg
duckie duck and her baby.jpg [ 418.04 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next