View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
ducks? 
Forum Moderator

Post ducks?
I have a fab area behind our machinery shed with the remains of an old water tank for swimming, plenty of grass and shade.
Those of you that have penned ducks...
1. How do ducks settle at night time?
2. Do you just lock them up in a pen/coop like your chooks?
3. What breeds of ducks cope best in this type of setting?
Photos of set ups would be helpful.
Thanks as always. :D

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: ducks?
In my experience, ducks like routine but are easily spooked. So at pen up time they will either be the easiest or the hardest to put away! Unlike chooks that go to roost in their coop by themselves, you actually have to put the ducks in. They may hang around the coop waiting for you but won't go in until you turn up and herd them in. In the morning you open the door and stand back or get bowled over by the rush to get out! I have Khaki Campbell X Indian Runner and find them very satisfactory. Both breeds are good egg layers and don't fly. I believe if you get smaller or bantam ducks then they can fly off. Mine get to free-range during the day in a fenced (but not fox proof) yard and locked up in a fox proof cage at night. If you get daytime visits from foxes then you will need to have a secure run for them as well. Thus far I have not had that problem but did lose some ducks when I was late locking them up and it was dark.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]