View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Different Chicken Breeds 
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Different Chicken Breeds
Hi Everyone
Interesting thread :clap
Peta and Lisa if you want good freindly birds that will dress out for the table I would go the Australorps but I struggle with dressing my boys as they are just so placid and freindly so I am opting to sell them.
This obviously is going to be placed in the Classifieds. Must stay on thread.

My birds are from top Victorian bloodlines and I have both Large Utility Breeds and Show Standard birds.
I have come up with an interesting combination of the Show Standards and another breed that have produced Monster pullets and boys even at 3 and 1/2 months old. Again see classifieds.
The birds have temperament look's and the boys will dress out huge.
I dressed some Barnie/Rhode Island Red crosses, really flavouresome but not a huge bird but still well worth dressing. Around the 1.8 KG mark dressed.
I found the Barnie Leghorn crosses a much whiter meat but slightly stringy and not as tasty as the other Barnie crosses.
I guess because I breed for temperament and egg size I struggle with dressing a placid rooster so would rather sell and turn away. :hmm
Heather

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:49 pm
Forum Moderator

Finally got some pics one of our Slamon Faverolle hens

The girls havent started laying yet so coant comment on their egg producing ability but seem to be reasonably friendly and I think rather cute with their funny lttlie "beards"

The Faverolles have 5 toes rather than the more common 4..

The roosters look something like this ( we arent sure of his purity)

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 am
Regular Gardner

Hey There Saabman
Your Birdies are so cute.
What are the little black birds in the background they are cute too.
I have since been given a Purebred Show Standard Silver Faverolle boy who is a tad older but still very fertile and is throwing me some pulletts very much like your birdies.
I love their whisker faces and the Faverolle boy has the most amazing temperament.
Cwackers that is really sad about your posted eggs.
I sell fertile's in both duck and hen eggs depending on what people want and do a fertility test before I advertise and am averaging around 95% fertility rate upon people candling their posted Duck eggs on day 10.
I can vouch for this as well.
The last lady got 17 positives from 18 posted eggs.
Mind you I am fanatical about packing them correctly.
I don't know of anyone with Croad Langshans in my area but do know of some top poultry breeders who may be able to chase them up for you.
I have three incubators ticking away at present with only six clears in the two Hovobators so I am going to be a very very busy lady with 24 week olds and another 20 day olds.
Plus 28 Duckies set down as well. :throw
Lets just say I am very methodical with my daily schedule.
Heather :clap
It is addictive and every person that has bought eggs and birds from me being blissfully happy.
Heather

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:02 pm
Forum Moderator

The favs are rather cute Heather. The black hen in the back ground on the left is a fav x australorp the other black one is straight australorp. The rooster is dinner for later in the week! Been in town we get rid of the Roos as soon as they start to crow - id love to keep some - they are so beautiful but the noise drives me batty!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 pm
Regular Gardner

Hi Saabman
I thought there was a little whisker happening there... :lol:
I have some Australorp/Brown Barnvelder cross boys that are headed for the same destiny.
I swapped some of my Barnies for two unrelated boy's and they are gone but have passed on the same general "bad attitude" (not typical of Barnies) to their progeny....
I will try and get some pics posted of my "Good - Birds" :cheersarm soon.
I have some nice duckies but I am thinking they will have to be posted on the Waterfowel Forum.
Yes the roosters can become annoying but my neighbour informed me she loves them.
We are Rural 1C :throw
:clap :clap
Reminds her of being on the farm. :cheersarm
Back to topic.
As I said I will get some pics of my Large (Huge) Black Australorps and my Blue Orpington girls soon.
Heather

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3