View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Different Chicken Breeds 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Different Chicken Breeds
So if Lisa and I wanted to set up a flock of birds with moderate/good egg laying but the option to put the non-wanted birds (ie excess roosters) from the clutches onto the table, what would be the best breed, in the groups' humble opinion? We've had leghorns which are a huge bird, good layers but *very* stand-offish. We now have isa browns which lay really well tho not as well as I was advised (could be the short days?) and are a really sociable bird, friendly and always wanting to know what you're up to. Only thing is; they're a scrawny bird and you'd need a couple to feed the family for a meal 8-) We'd like friendly chooks, as we do connect with our animals, (but aren't adverse to eating them) From the discussions above it seems perhaps the Australorps or Sussex would fit the bill? Large, friendly and good layers?

Any advice from people who've also had the eggs v meat discussion?

Thanx

Pete

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Hi Pete and Lisa,
i've had great tasting meals from australorp, australorp x indian, araucana x australorp, light sussex, commercial meaties and a few randoms that i have no idea of parentage,
the meat chooks grew the fastest, great if you want meat just for the table, as for taste, well, lets just say i wont be getting them again, pluss i felt sorry for the poor things, light sussex are light in taste too and take waaaay too long to fill out.

best meals came from an australorp (2.5kg dressed) and the ara-lorps (2ish kg) that i breed myself.
if you post your question as a new post, you might get more response. :D
everyone has a favorite meat breed and i haven't tried them all...........yet. :lol:

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 pm
Site Administrator

I would go with australorps or sussex for sure. We have both, and both are large friendly birds that lay quite well. They also seem to lay longer (for more years) than the commercial laying breeds.

If you want to bond with them the best thing to do (in my opinion) is get day old chicks or if you have an incubator then buy fertile eggs and hatch them yourself. You get to play with them lots and they become part of the family. You have to wait longer to get eggs to eat, but you have birds that are much more used to human contact. Ours all come running when they hear the back door open now.

We can do fertile eggs or hatched chicks for both breeds. We can also do a cross of the two breeds. I am sure Cai will have more insight to offer!

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Site Administrator

Both breeds are extremely calm docile birds, I have to push some of my sussex girls away from the gate with my foot when going into the pen, the Australorp would perhaps be a slightly better layer however I think the Sussex tends to end up being a slightly larger bird when dressed, their are smaller strains of both bird with Australorps being the worst as laying companies have bred them down in size which ruins it as a dual purpose bird. If you like you are more than welcome to come and visit us and have a look at a few different breeds, we have Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps, Sussex & Barnevelders.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

So where do you get your Australorps from? I'm looking to move my Isa Brown flock of 8 birds on, as I'm only getting 2-3 eggs a day. Hope to replace them with 6-8 Australorp PoL pullets if I can get them fairly soon. Will put a 'does anyone want some hens?' in another post :-)

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm
Site Administrator

Pete_Lisa wrote:
So where do you get your Australorps from? I'm looking to move my Isa Brown flock of 8 birds on, as I'm only getting 2-3 eggs a day. Hope to replace them with 6-8 Australorp PoL pullets if I can get them fairly soon. Will put a 'does anyone want some hens?' in another post :-)

Lindon on this forum breeds & sells Australorps that are from a good line, send her a PM and see what she has available. Your other option is Barter & Sons the hatchery in Sydney however they are more expensive :)

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Bantam Plymouth rocks

Attachments:
100_3053.JPG
100_3053.JPG [ 31.57 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]
100_3042.JPG
100_3042.JPG [ 28.66 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Does anyone have Croad Langshans? I've just picked up some eggs for the incubator - will see how we go. Having only got 4 chicks from 30 eggs last time (posted), hoping this batch is more successful :D

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm
Site Administrator

Croad Langshans are lovely birds, I used to breed them as a kid, I think we have one member who breeds them I'm just trying to recall the name :)

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

There is a breeder of Australorps near me in Vic.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next