View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Registry of roadside fruit and veg. 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Registry of roadside fruit and veg.
Yep - thats it Slim. There are also some very very old apple trees - both in the goods yard and on the monaro highway not far from Michelago. In other years we have plundered these mercilessly for dried apple, pie apple, chutney and so-forth

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:06 am
Forum Moderator

Robbo wrote:
Yep - thats it Slim. There are also some very very old apple trees - both in the goods yard and on the monaro highway not far from Michelago. In other years we have plundered these mercilessly for dried apple, pie apple, chutney and so-forth

Sweet! I'll have to find them too. North or South on the Monaro?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Forum Moderator

Dad told me he counted 21 apple trees in between Bungendore and Queanbeyan! Including one near the roundabout to HQJOC that is QUOTE: '40 ft tall' (I'm guessing exaggeratuion, but you never know!). Must go for a drive out there and note down the locations.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:54 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Well so much for the Michelago Garden of Eden!!!!

The missionary zeal of the local Landcare Group got the better of them. They got in a bobcat and flattened all the plum and apple trees mentioned above. God Love 'em!!! With the creeks and rivers choked with wattle and blackberry, the hillsides strew with boxthorn and tussock - this was what they had to attack. Probably because if was the least amount of effort till they could get into the sausage sizzle, tea and scones!!! The wowsers wouldn't even rate a beer after work - the sanctimonious old farts!!!!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm
Site Administrator

Bugger :(

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Idiots. When will they learn that free local food = less supermarket dependence and a longer lifespan for the planet? Councils (and landcare) are run by people with their heads firmly planted in their own arseholes.

In good news: the Sutton Road bunch of trees have flowered, and are covered in very healthy foliage, apparently the Bungendore trees are doing well too, and my Dad's trees have lot of young fruit on them. It has indeed been a good year for fruit crops.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Slim wrote:
Councils (and landcare) are run by people with their heads firmly planted in their own arseholes.

AMEN brother Slim!!!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 pm
Forum Moderator

I've noted another 20 or so apple trees around the region. Will post up coordinates when I ground truth them. Also about a hundred out near Braidwood... Can't be bothered writing down all of them!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 pm
Sprout

Hi, we have this map where we can record the locations of fruit trees growing on public land. Public Fruit. Brisbane, Queensland.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&source=embed&msa=0&msid=109454405528422793223.0004798ac1435812ae271&ll=-27.495481,153.051224&spn=0.317943,0.676346&z=11

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:18 pm
Green Thumb

Just scored some almonds from the roadside here - not much point in telling anyone the coordinates as I am SA but it was on a dirt road near an old settlement and cemetery called St Kitts, near the Barossa - must have once been hugely into almonds as they are everywhere. Was actually looking for an apple tree as I thought that may be where I would find one close to home. Have never harvested almonds so did not know whether I was taking the right ones, just approached it like walnuts which we used to have. They are currently drying out in the sun - have filled a rack. Some of the hulls have not come off completely yet so will see how they dry - this rainfall and dewy nights would not be doing any favours if left on tree too long but no damage by the looks. Yeh for free food :cheersarm

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next