View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Is this Mushroom Edible?? 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Is this Mushroom Edible??
Cai wrote:
Does it smell like store bought mushroom?

Yeah, it does - like button mushrooms.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:32 pm
Site Administrator

I would be leaning towards eating it as it looks the same as some I ate from the paddock a few weeks ago but perhaps wait for another opinion?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Cai wrote:
I would be leaning towards eating it as it looks the same as some I ate from the paddock a few weeks ago but perhaps wait for another opinion?

Thanks Cai :) I'm pretty sure it's a field mushie but I'm not going to cook it up for dinner unless I can get a positive, confident ID. Just not worth the risk if we're wrong! :shock:

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 pm
Green Thumb

there is one that looks like a field mushroom but goes yellowish when bruised or cut after a while. This is not edible.

Quote:
Description of Yellow Stainer poisonous mushroom

The Yellow Stainer (Agaricus xanthodermus) is the most commonly ingested poisonous mushroom. This species commonly grows wild in lawns and gardens, and looks very similar to edible mushrooms. Characteristics include:

Mushrooms grow on the ground in clusters, often clumped or in fairy rings
Mushrooms range from 50–200mm in diameter.
The cap is usually white, but can become brown with age.
The cap of young mushrooms looks a little square.
When damaged, the cap and stem stain yellow, fading later to a dirty brown.
The mushroom gives off a chemical odour, like disinfectant, iodine or kerosene. The odour is more intense on cooking.
If eaten, symptoms include abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea (usually within 30 minutes to 2 hours of consumption). Less common symptoms include headache, dizziness, sweating and drowsiness.

from http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Fungi_poisoning?open

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:30 pm
Site Administrator

I normally tell by the smell if they smell like shop mushrooms it tends to be fine :)

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Apparently death caps smell and taste fantastic before your liver fails. Cai, that's the sort of advice that can kill people!!!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 pm
Green Thumb

We have a bunch of the ones with white gills at the moment, and steering clear! Also found one today with pink gills but it looks a little bit different to the usual field mushroom, so again not touching it. There are heaps of orange, grey and off white ones springing up everywhere as well.

What's driving me crazy, is that the vast majority of field mushrooms I pick have got the grubs in the centre, even if they've only just come up! I rarely find out I can eat :cry:

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

cwackers wrote:
We have a bunch of the ones with white gills at the moment, and steering clear! Also found one today with pink gills but it looks a little bit different to the usual field mushroom, so again not touching it. There are heaps of orange, grey and off white ones springing up everywhere as well.

What's driving me crazy, is that the vast majority of field mushrooms I pick have got the grubs in the centre, even if they've only just come up! I rarely find out I can eat :cry:

Bugger!! :(

This one's gills are getting darker and darker the longer it's been out of the ground. Still a tinge of pink, but a very brown pink!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm
Site Administrator

Slim wrote:
Apparently death caps smell and taste fantastic before your liver fails. Cai, that's the sort of advice that can kill people!!!

:shock: Yes i was more suggesting if visual identification suggests its a field mushroom & it then smells like a button mushroom they tend to be ok, certainly not suggesting that eating death caps is the go. Also if in doubt throw it out!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I'd probably leave it as I don't have enough knowledge on the subject of poisonous mushrooms.

However, I thought I might take things into my own hands by putting in a patch of my own mushrooms. Check these out http://www.fungi.net.au/grow_your_own_mushrooms/shop/white-button-mushroom-kit-11.html

Currently have a box of Swiss Browns in the cupboard. Can't wait to see what they're like :D Once I master those I might try Oyster and Shitake's too.

A much safer option in my opinion :D

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next