View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Finally got some cattle! 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Finally got some cattle!
Well we finally bit the bullet and bought some cattle. A local lady who had highlander X was over stocked and even better they were just around the corner. Meet our lovely big Angus X Fresian, Karen (no we didn't name her) who will be our house cow and pet and our two lovely wooly Highlander X Angus steers who will eventually end up in the freezer. They all seem really sweet and calm and have settled in nicely. Having a lovely time exploring the paddock. No doubt I'll be on here asking a bazillion questions in the near future.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: Finally got some cattle!
Congratulations they look fantastic!!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

A bit too cute for the freezer. :)

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:47 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

OMG Jayoups they ARE too cute for the freezer. Especially Mac, the black steer. The hair on his face is so curly LOL! I just want to hug him and squeeze him and call him George :D Sadly the plan is to eat them so I have to keep that firmly in mind. Our plan is to have a man come to our property where he will kill and prepare the carcass. He also leaves a portable coolroom or something where the carcass will hang for a few weeks. Unfortunately we'll have to get rid of the guts, etc so not quite sure what to do with all that. Don't have any heavy machinery to dig a big hole, although the guy next door does have a bobcat. Hmm .. looks like a case of beer and a potroast might be in order :D Lots to think about. I know sending them to the abattoir would be less hassle for us but I like the idea that they don't leave the property or get stressed out from the experience.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]