View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Calves for the freezer 
Green Thumb

Post Calves for the freezer
We were thinking about getting some small beef cattle to raise calves for the freezer, but have decided instead to get some bobby calves from a dairy, raise them and then put one in our freezer and sell the others. I know we won't get as much meat from them, but like the idea of giving them some time in the paddock.

Might still get some breeding cows later, but will try this for now.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:23 pm
Sprout

Post Re: Calves for the freezer
Don't forget cwackers - if they're destined for the freezer, they don't get a name! That's our theory/practice anyway. :)

Since we've been here, everything (cattle/calves/goats) have been given a name, except for 2 little goat wethers we got at a week old. Straight up we knew where they were headed, so never gave them names or excess pats. Trying to keep the arm's length and so on.... Anyhow, those two boys were dispatched by a mate of ours around ANZAC day, and have been shared around. I'm learning to cook goat meat - low and slow - and loving it.

We have four cows in calf due sometime around/after September. Any boys will be destined for the freezer or sale yard - probably sale yard. Girls will be named and remain.

Our next challenge will be when the dorpers arrive - they'll all be named, but their offspring will be known as those ones!

:)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Must be something wrong with me - I can name them and still eat them.

Having said that, the names so far have been food related :lol: (Ham, Bacon, Honey and Maple the pigs). They got enough pats and belly rubs to make sure they were happy to be handled, which certainly helped when it was time to take them to the abattoir.

The calves will get names as there'll only be a few and we'll be up close and personal.

I think it's more knowing from the start 'pet or not pet', rather than names for me - that's enough so I don't get attached.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:56 pm
Sprout

That's fair enough. Sounds like you've had more experience at this than us. We're still very green!

Perhaps once we've put a few more in the freezer, it'll be easier. I am sure. :roll:

We've bought some Indian Game breeders for the purpose of putting chooks on the plate and in the freezer, so that'll be the next step. I can kill a crook chook, but yet to knock one on the head to pluck then gut then cook then eat. ;)

We will get there!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

I haven't done too much yet either, but have killed and eaten a few muscovy ducks and lots of wild rabbits (all of which are named 'you bastard').

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 pm
Green Thumb

I have done my own chooks and ducks. Peter Pan the big fat lamb got collected by the local butcher last Saturday and he comes back as roasts, chops and mince this Saturday.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 pm
Green Thumb

cwackers wrote:
lots of wild rabbits (all of which are named 'you bastard').

:lol: Bwahahahah !!!!! :lol:
Lolfoob(laughing out loud falling out of bed)!!!!! :lol:
cwack me up Cwackers!!! :lol:

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Sprout

The visitors/occupants that are referred to as "you bastards" are the crows here.....

They are definitely bastards! :evil:

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Sprout

I am a country girl through & through & was doing sheep & chickens by my early teens but my hubby is city breed, born & raised so for him it can be a challenge at times. I am very proud to say he has the knack of a great butcher though it just came natural to him but after killing many a sheep, chook or cow I am the slaughter person he is the butcher, lol.....
He refuses to let me get goats as says no way can he handle even me killing those they are far too cute he says, lol I have differing opinions on goats

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 am
Green Thumb

Goats are tasty but I have two pet goats only, I'll just have to buy my goat meat :)

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next