View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Introducing dung beetles 
Green Thumb

Post Introducing dung beetles
Hello fellow gourmeters

Has anyone introduced dung beetles?

If so, what pour on drench do you use?
How's the population going? And we're they native to Oz or were they introduced?

Also how active are they in winter these days?

We are thinking of introducing imports to continue activity during winter.

Cheers Donna

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Introducing dung beetles
I think it was the CSIRO that are currently experimenting with some types from overseas that are active during the winter as none, or at least not many of the current ones in Aust are active over the winter. I think the report i saw was on landline last year.

Here is an article from mid lat year. :) http://www.csiro.au/Portals/Media/Dung- ... e-job.aspx

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 am
Forum Moderator

I'm interested in this thread as I'll be wanting to introduce dung beetles too. I'm thinking with the horses, after drenching they'll be locked into a non beetle paddock until the medication has passed through and done it's job.
Our property is divided at approx the 1/3 mark by the houses so it'll be dung beetles down the back, and bad luck for any that work their way down to the front.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 am
Green Thumb

Yes saw landline and know CSIRO are experimenting, but that doesn't help us now.

I read in The Land that a property at Henty NSW introduced 8000 to compliment their existing dung beetles for year round 'poo-removal' around their massive property to deal with 1000 head of cattle with great success.

I grew up in Holbrook so am very aware of the climate there being near the same to where we are.

I will ring the number in thi s weeks Land( or last weeks :hmm ) as someone was selling them for $600 but it didn't state how many beetles nor are they suitable for what area etc.

Will give them a call and let you know what they have to say.

Our natives do such a great job, that we can now tell they're inactive :|
Poop everywhere :shock:

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew your one of those Holbrook people. And here i thought you where i nice person. :D :D :D

I grew up in Pleasant Hills and distinctly remember every surrounding town hating Holbrook while i was at Billabong High. :D

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 am
Green Thumb

Sympathies to ya :lol: :lol:

We were unloved by others because we were just sooooooo darn gooooooooood :drunk :lol: :lol: :drunk

I moved to Canberra in 1983, after finishing high school at St Josephs in Albury.

I was Billabong for its first two years though :cheersarm

I don't think much has changed these days, from what I hear anyways..........Holbrook 'ens are still the black sheep at Billabong :D

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I put 3000 dung beetles out (1500 each of two species) last October. They were provided by the chap from Downer ACT (Australia 's top expert) as suitable for this area. Haven't seen one since, but there is very little cattle dung around in the paddock where I put them.

The only safe drench for dung beetles is Cydectin.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]