View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dexters rule for A2 
Green Thumb

Post Dexters rule for A2
Another reason why one should seriously consider the Dexter breed over other bovines 8-)

We finally have the entire herd tested for A2 now and we are really pleased with the results considering we were told 25% at A2/A2 would be considered a good result.

We have;

11 x A2/A2 – [3 boys – 8 girls]
8 x A2/A1 – [2 boys – 6 girls]
2 x A1/A1 – [1 boy – 1 girl]

:throw :throw :throw Go the Dexters :clap :clap :clap

Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: Dexters rule for A2
Congratulations!! That is a fantastic result...

Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Thank you, but it has to be the breed.

We are not that lucky. :D :D :D

Thu May 23, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

What's A2 and A1?

Whatever it is congrats

Thu May 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Green Thumb

The only difference between A2 and A1 milk is only one amino acid out of 209 in the betacasein protein that is found in bovine milk.

However, this one amino acid (histidene instead of proline at position 67) has major implications during digestion and leads to the
formation of bovine beta-casomorphin7.
A1 appears to cause problems for a proportion of the population.

Friesian cows produce mostly A1 milk, Jerseys and Guernseys produce mainly A2 milk.
And I would say that Dexters must also be up there with the Jerseys :D

Cows for A2 milk must be specially bred and a number of farmers in Australia have converted their herds to produce this virtually pure A2 milk.

It has been noted that a country that has high intake per capita of A1 milk tend to have high levels of type 1 diabetes and heart disease.
Wherever the milk intake is low in the A1 beta cassein, high in the A2 beta casein then there are low level of the type 1 diabetes.

While some dairy industry giants in New Zealand are starting to convert their herds to produce A2, which takes up to 10 years, the dairy industry there and in Australia maintains there's no proof of normal milk's harm.
Dairy Australia state normal milk is safe and nutritious, claiming there's insufficient evidence to change to A2

So there you have it :D

We are breeding towards the A2/A2 majority while trying to maintain structure and type of the Dexter, plus we would like to dominate in the Dexter brown (Dun) colour as well, so I dare say it will also take us 10 years to achieve an A2/A2, majority Dun coloured herd :drunk

But thats where the fun begins :cheersarm

Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Thanks for the explanation

Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yep - and thanks also to Markymark for asking. I also had no idea but didn't want to air my ignorance..........;-)

Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 am
Green Thumb

Oh Robbo :roll:

This has to be THE best forum to air one's ignorance freely and openingly without any fear of reprisal or judgement........

I scan quite a few forums (too lazy to venture outside at lunchtime while at work) and this forum has the best group of people around.

I have never seen / read a nasty, spiteful or condescending comment yet.

So air away because tomorrow it will probably be my turn :D :hmm :lol:

Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Its interesting how industry bodies seem to be the last to acknowledge things thaht are of benifit to the consumer rather than the producer.

I was looking into some information regardin the benefits of calcium in milk and EVERY study that was sponsered by the dairy industry proclaimed the benifits of the calcium in cow milk while every study sponsered by anothre entity disputed that claim.

I had noticed the A2 milk been promoted in various stupor markets recently but also did not knwo what it meant..

B

Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm
Forum Moderator

Quote:
this one amino acid (histidene instead of proline at position 67) has major implications during digestion

There is a noticable difference for me when drinking A2 milk :) . I've even thought about taking my own milk to the coffee shop,
I haven't found one in my area that is offering it as an alternative.

Quote:
Its interesting how industry bodies seem to be the last to acknowledge things thaht are of benifit to the consumer rather than the producer.

I'm sure they'll change their tune in 10yrs time when the majority has managed to convert their herds to A2.

Well done you guys on getting off to a great start with your herd. :thumbright

Wed May 29, 2013 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next