View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Is Pittosporum poisonous to cattle? 
Green Thumb

Post Is Pittosporum poisonous to cattle?
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if Pittosporum would be poisonous to cattle?

I have searched and all I can find is info on how hungry cattle would try anything when nothing else nice was around - mind you there's little chance of our fatties ever doing this, but the drought will be back and you never know, so would like to be safe, than sorry.

We are looking at planting something along internal fencelines to 'dress up ' the place alittle and thought the pittosporum silver sheen would make a nice contrast to the variety of gums ( and one day, table olive trees) as well as slowing down the wind at ground level while not blocking out the view.

if someone has any other suggestions for which hedges type, hardy, drought and frost resistant plant would look good, please let me, remembering that i dont have a brown-thumb, it's black.......................

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: Is Pittosporum poisonous to cattle?
I know its poisonous to goats & the silly buggers love the stuff, we ended up having our tree fenced off to stop them.
What about some of the grevillea type hedge plants that flower & create a nice environment for native birds?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: Is Pittosporum poisonous to cattle?
Hi Cai

I did some research and thank you for the grevilla suggestion, we're going for it.

Our soil type is perfect for them and they do come in a wide range of colours and sizes, and best suit the 'black-thumb' gardener, and they are native which I didn't realise. ;)

Now the hard choice - to plant in mass along one fence with one type and another type along the next fence - or mix the colours up along all fencing :hmm :D

Thanks again......

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]