View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Guarding goats looking for a good home - Tarago NSW 
Green Thumb

Post Guarding goats looking for a good home - Tarago NSW
(Sorry long post)
Last year we brought home two 2 yr old desexed male miniature goats (we they are not quite so miniature as it turns out but thats not the issue)

They were bottle babies and so friendly. Within just a couple of days they were following us around like house dogs. They cry and run after us when we are on the quad and heading down the paddock. They greet us each time when returning to the property and they hang around the midget moos at all other times. Perfect !

When visitors come to the property, the goats began gesturing a head butt at the visitors if they put themselves between us and the boys. Never making contact or appearing to really want too.

We saw their reasoning straight away and would ensure to avoid this situation. The behaviour had extended to our daughter who visits regularly, gives them treats etc but they did not like her being between us and them.

Then they moved their possessiveness of hubby and concentrated on me. My daughter would joke that they wanted to protect me. We have no idea what caused this change.

Well we dealt with this possessive trait and avoided putting the boys into a situation where they felt they needed to react and all was fine until last week when the first inclining was seen.

I was working with the calves and the boys decided that they weren’t having that either and had a go at one of the calves who had come for a scratch and pat.

So I dealt with that situation by giving the boys their treats inside the poultry enclosure where I could close the gate keeping them away.

All was fine until yesterday when I didn’t have time to work with the babies so all were given treats, including the boys but outside the enclosure area.
I began walking around the moos, giving little pats here and there when the boys suddenly head butted one of the pregnant mums in her side. I disciplined the boys and then went to move to another moo when the boys went to repeat their head butting but was then side-swiped by one of our near adult heifers, Ash who has a beautiful set of developing horns.

Ash wouldn’t let up then. She was determined to get these boys, which turned the whole situation into something uncomfortable and dangerous for me as Ash’s two stable-mates joined in – 2 other heifers also with well developing horns.

So I had 3 near adult heifers after goats, goats trying to get near me for protection and also defending themselves by rearing up at the moos. Ash Lou and Branna were focused on goats and not where I was, and I had walked to the area. There was no car or quad for a quick retreat.
Not nice at all.

So I dare say there are now only two options:
1. Stop their free roaming and lock them in a paddock, defeating the weed-eating purpose they were brought in for

2. Re home them so they can continue to have human contact.

Is there anyone out there who would like take home a pair of very loving and devoted guarding -goats?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]