View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Dorpers 
Sprout

Post Dorpers
I have spent the last 7 yrs working my stepfathers dorper herd up but with his recent heart attack the whole flock was sold but I managed to retain 3 maiden full blood ewes & 2 papered rams although 1 is a geriatric(he is our pet no way I was letting therm load him too) & will be starting our own herd now.
My decisions are do I go commercial only or do I go & buy myself 1 papered ewe to start my own stud flock???
Mainly they are just for our own meat use but I do have some very good bloodlines & the idea of having 3 papered rams to take to the Dubbo Dorper Ram sales each yr sounds good for a little pocket money. The brother to my old ram who is sire to my 3 girls brother sold for 25K so I do have a hope to compete with the big boy at breeding a few boutique stud rams a year.
Anyway beside that I am think I will add a few other hair breed ewes to the flock, if I did what would people recommend I try, I would not mind a hybrid flock(although would always keep a small pure Dorper flock no matter what) either if it improved upon feet etc as our main goal is self reliant as possible.
What I love about Dorpers first their personalities & how quiet our guys are, how quick I can finish a lamb, small birth weights that grow super fast once on the ground, great doers will eat anything & do well on it too, worm resistance is better than the wooly crossbreds we used to keep for meat & their mothering abilities & twin/triplet rate come weaning.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:28 am
Sprout

Post Re: Dorpers
Love Dorpers, I have them too. What bloodlines are your ewes/rams?

Cheers.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 pm
Sprout

Our old boy is an embroy imp that Algoa imported & the 2 of the ewes are his daughters, new ram is a mix of Amarula,Kaya, & Algoa best lines.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 am
Site Administrator

We love dorpers too!
We are currently going down the commerical route using papered rams! (our current fella is a mix of Amaraula, kaya & winrae)

However considering slowly adding a few papered ewes as we sell some of the commerical ewes to add two dimensions to our stud :)

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Sprout

Awesome to see so many with Dorpers! My ewes/ram are a mixture of Bellevue, Dell, Roslynmead, Algoa, and old Amarula bloodlines, however, I'd like to move further towards Bellevue/Strauss/Mickey Phillips bloodlines in the future.

Cai, I love my registered ewes, but the commercial ones do throw nice lambs ;)

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 pm
Sprout

Grandpa the original ram

The 3 young ewes & stud boy that will be the start of our own dorper herd & old grandpa of course

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:11 pm
Site Administrator

They look great, i'll get some pictures of mine when I get a chance tomorrow :)

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]