View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Goats ? - experts / breeders - goat found ! 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Goats ? - experts / breeders please.
JulieAnn, Goats can climb trees - do a Google search for "goats climbing trees." You won't believe how talented they are :)
I wouldn't let them anywhere near fruit trees. They're natural browsers and once they get a taste for them they'll move heaven and earth to get to them, over and over.

It's not a bad thing to run your goat/s with the horses. I was given a kid that I had castrated and horns disbudded. highly recommended) He grew up with my horses and had no idea he was a goat. He went out with them in the am and came back with them in the afternoon. We have a large acreage on "interesting" country. We have internal fences but no external fences on the sides and back of the property which is embedded in the national park. There are herds of feral goats in the park, and even though on occasion feral does would come down into our valley and call our goat (Hello Sailor???) he stayed with the horses and just ignored them. Being castrated obviously helped.

Like the horses he came when he was called, so was always easy to handle. He was an absolute character who stayed around the stables and horse paddocks, never once came around the house to eat the gardens or anything else he shouldn't have touched. The horses aren't allowed there and he stayed with his herd, so it never became a problem. He slept in the stables at night and knew to stand politely outside the feedshed at meal times. He was never lonely like a single goat who was kept alone.

If you get a young goat (best way to go) I do think it's a good idea not to scratch/rub it around the head or push it away by pushing on the head or horns. They think it's a game and will quickly learn to push back which in turn leads to butting which is a no no, and virtually impossible to stop them doing it forever after.

He kept the weeds down in the horse paddocks, just wandered around grazing the tops and seed heads off so they never regenerated. We had no idea just what a great job he'd been doing until after he died and we had to do our own weed control. Victa was a Saanen, don't know much about Anglo Nubians. There are AN crosses in the herds in the National Park, and some of them are quite handsome. Hope this helps.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 am
Forum Moderator

Thanks Bella what a lovely story and tribute to your goat. Also it inspires me to push ahead with the idea. I'm not in any rush, and we will most certainly have plenty of securely fenced off areas for the goat/goats to be kept.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:01 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I'd be looking to portable electric fences instead of tethering. There are a lot of stories about tethered goats with sad endings...

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Thanks Alan and a good thought. Yes I also discovered that after some reading. We'll wait and see what my set up brings, I've had a gallagher portable before, they're a good little unit if it comes to that.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Goats ? - experts / breeders - goat found !
Found just what I was looking for.
This is smooch.
An 8 month old Anglo Nubian Werther. Still with the breeder until our fencing is done. Can't wait to meet him.
Thanks everyone for your help, suggestions and guidance.
Not a great photo but it was all the breeder had at the time, she was a great source of information and help too.
Lucky little man is going to have a load of fruit tree prunings to get through, not to mention all the other bits and peices that will require disposing of around the property. I fully believe he is going to be one of our best assets.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2