View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Goats ? - experts / breeders - goat found ! 
Forum Moderator

Post Goats ? - experts / breeders - goat found !
I'd eventually like to get a goat for our property. I have seen one I like but not sure what breed it is.
Colour was ginger and black, ears were floppy, size was med to large for a goat. any ideas at what breed I could be looking for?

I guess if it comes to it I could take a drive and ask the owners or get a photo and get someone to identify it for me.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Goats ? - experts / breeders please.
with floppy ears, possibly an Anglo-Nubian

Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs- "Putting the Breed before breeding"

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Sprout

Did it look something like this ?

Attachment:
goat.jpg
goat.jpg [ 6.72 KiB | Viewed 992 times ]

Photo of an anglo nubian doe taken from the web

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sprout

Wouldn't recommend one goat on its own, in fact most farm animals are better with company. My preference would be sheep over goats as my experience has been that sheep are easier to handle, contain by fences and are less prone to worms. Goats are more suited to areas with plenty of 'browsing' rather than 'grazing' feed and low rainfall. They do however make good eating and are considered by many to be a 'healthy' meat alternative.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm
Sprout

Another factor to remember is that when does come into heat some can be very noisy and could disturb any close by neighbours.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Thanks Bill,
That is exactly the one :thumbright .

I wasn't neccessarily leaning towards one goat and we will have lots of area's that have pickings for goats, especially around the orchard. And the neighbours are far enough away from the paddocks not to be bothered.
The one I did see was on it's own though as a companion to a horse and I saw some of the most affectionate interaction between the 2 of them.
Maybe their not all like that in their temperament? (and I most certainly won't need mine as an equine companion) but I'll do some research on the breed and see what I come up with. Thanks for the lead.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am
Green Thumb

how are you going to keep your fruit trees safe from goats? They would be prime tucker for them.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:33 pm
Sprout

Goats will eat most trees but they have a fondness for roses and for citrus trees. The anglo nubian is regarded by some as producing more milk than a lot of the swiss breeds but it really depends on how much you want or need and from memory they produce a slightly higher fact content in their milk than the other breeds. They come in a wide range of colours and patterns which adds to their appeal for those looking to get a goat.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

I'm not really wanting them for milk bill. We just want them for pets and to eat some of the desirable goat fodder that pops up aroung the farm.

I'd be planning on timing with the fruit trees, and of course it would be provided they didn't take too much of a liking to the bark. We have a large assortment of fruit trees, with minimal citrus at this stage. The orchard is also fenced securely. They are fully developed fruit trees over 20 years old, goats would only be able to reach the lower branches if they were to be given access. Plus of course limited access to the excess fruit.

We will have some very secure paddocks to contain them, but also hope to be able to tether them for short periods of time.

Any more info you can give me would be appreciated. Maybe I should be considering miniature goats?

I'm liking what wiki says about the A-N's, I hope it's the case.
Quote:
Nubians are remarkable in temperate zones of agriculture in being able to deal with temperatures as low as 0 °F (−18 °C) with open faced shelters. They readily attach to their new human owners with simple neck and side stroking. Nubians love human interaction and will call for their owner.

While being stereotyped as vocal, they are relatively quiet when provided with food, water and shelter. Just like human infants if they are making noise, they are doing so to let their needs be known. Nubians are also sometimes classified as stubborn, but Nubians are simply highly intelligent animals who know what they like and dislike. Once shown the correct way as in being let out of its pen to be milked, a Nubian will walk itself, load itself and wait to be milked.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 pm
Forum Moderator

Are you sure you want another Baby J :lol:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next