View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Meet Peter Pan 
Green Thumb

Post Meet Peter Pan
This is one of twin boys whose mum couldn't feed. His brother is not doing so well so the owner (Wendy) is trying to get some colostrum into him from a reluctant ewe who lost her own lamb. If he picks up he will be coming here too.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Meet Peter Pan
Nice lookng fella - it would be nice if they didnt ever grow up :o

we have a bunch of little ones which the mothers coudnt feed (heaps of twins and even a few tripletts) To help them be taken on by a ewe that had lost a lamb skin the dead lamb and make little jacket for the one your trying to foster out.
malke s the foster lamb smell like the ewes original lamb and things work out a bit better.

hopefully wendy will have some good luck and things will pick up for the little fella.
It doesnt always work but we have done about 10 this week and I think only one is been difficult.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:26 pm
Green Thumb

Wendy has done the skin thing before successfully.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm
Forum Moderator

we had that wasnt working today and so we tried him with another ewe and she took him on straight away.

Hopefully Wendy will have sucess and all will be well :thumbright

They look realy cute with their little lamb skin jackets :shock:

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:36 pm
Green Thumb

Peter is not so good this morning :(

He has been fussing at the bottle and not finishing his feed although he seems very hungry at first. I realised I had been making up the mixture richer than I should have been - confusion with the measuring tool I was using. This morning he was not too steady on his feet so I rang Wendy and she thinks he might be getting tummy ache from the rich mixture, or something he "mouthed" in the yard. She has recommended I try some half strength milk in small doses for a few feeds and to massage his tummy while he is drinking. Otherwise he is going well.

The other lamb is has now been accepted by the ewe and is on his feet again so good news there :)

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:08 am
Green Thumb

the weak feeds did the trick. He is back feeding with a vengeance and bouncing around as a little lamb should.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 am
Green Thumb

Oh that is absolutely great news.

Heres my ignorance on sheep and lambs, but is the incidence of mums not feeding the little ones linked to the common births of twins and triplets?

It's just you seem to hear more and more about it these days about handraising and fostering of the little ones.
:hmm

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

I couldn't say. Twins is the norm these days so I wouldn't think it is that big a problem. Just occasionally you get a ewe that doesn't produce milk or rejects them for some reason. My friend had an interesting problem when I was picking up Peter Pan. A ewe that was imminent was trying to steal the twin lambs of another ewe who had just given birth. I guess when they are so close to their time the maternal instinct is very strong. The problem is if she lets other lambs suckle before her own are born there is no colostrum left when they do come.

I expect the size of the flock makes a difference too. A smallholder would have a bigger vested interest in individual lambs where large stations wouldn't be checking every day and weak or dead lambs would be taken by predators.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:59 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

There's soime stuff developed iun New Zealand that you smear on the lamb's back and also on a ewe's nose. Supposed to overcome the ewe rejecting the "foreign" lamb. I saw it in the Shoof catalogue.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Green Thumb

Yes, Bigfish OZ - you can apparently just use vicks on the nose of the ewe making her unable to distinguish that it is not her lamb!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next