View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Summer plant losses - improving the soil 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Summer plant losses - improving the soil
Just wondering what you all think of this. I am about to replace plants lost (the stragglers) when the person at the nursery says I gotta work on soil condition. In the ACT (I am nearby in NSW) many people have hydrophobic soil due to dry winter and really hot days. And so one needs to add manure in. So i did scrap back mulch where I could and do this (big job) and noticed that despite wetting the soil, it did not become wet.

This conversation came up because i had lost mini-flax and won't replant with them. The guy reckons it was not the plant but the soil as the problem. So thinking i might try that mini-flax again abecause i need foliage colour and some contrast in leaf colour.

Do you regularly put manure into the garden beds? and if so, when - because it is a nightmare to scrap back mulch, dig it in and put the mulch back. I do regularly put in manure when I plant out chrysanthemums each late spring. So is not a big job at time of planting but across the broad garden it is.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:16 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Summer plant losses - improving the soil
adding aged manure, compost, leaf mould etc. will all condition your soil and help in the uptake and retention of moisture. It also feeds the worms and micro flora and fauna which are often overlooked but play an important part of your soil's health. Even if you can't dig it in, just layering it on the top under your mulch will help as it will infiltrate down into the soil as it breaks down. Your plants will love it.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 am
Sprout

Post Re: Summer plant losses - improving the soil
I don't know what sort of mulch you are using, but composted materials function both as a mulch and a soil improver. Just add it in a nice layer (along with some manure) as the old stuff breaks down into the soil.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]