View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Peppercorn tree (Schinus molle) - to keep or not. 
Forum Moderator

Post Peppercorn tree (Schinus molle) - to keep or not.
I'm rather partial to the ol' pepper tree. Love the drooping branches and foliage.

We have a rather established one (which is something I really like), in a position I'm rather keen on in relation to our new house. However it is underneath a pine tree that has to come down. The tree guy can, save it but it will cost a bit more for them to work around it.

I read this
Quote:
The seed is very hard and germinates best when passed through the guts of birds.

but then went on to read it can be poisonous to chooks :scratch (birds - or am I confused) and some other animals.
It is not in a grazing or free range area to my animals other than a few chooks.

What would you do? Does anyone have one where there chooks come into contact with it?

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Peppercorn tree (Schinus molle) - to keep or not.
it may be that a small amount may be OK but larger quantities have a detrimental effect!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: Peppercorn tree (Schinus molle) - to keep or not.
We have a very big pepper tree in our chook yard! No issues;) the chooks and peacocks use the branches as roosts and they hide under the canopy when eagles are around and such a blessing for summer shade too when it's 45 plus! But you probably know they are demons on pipe work so don't put your house anywhere near - the roots travel huge distances (horizontally) for water :)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]