View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
So summers over and it's autumn in the garden. 
Forum Moderator

Post So summers over and it's autumn in the garden.
Just wondering what your all up to in the garden ATM? What successes did you have growing over summer? Discover anything new and yummy to grow or eat?

I've removed all my raised beds from home, ready for the move down to the farm, I'll start growing down there over winter even though we won't be living there yet.

From home we're still getting a good lot of passionfruit, at the farm we are getting heaps of zucchini's, figs and the quinces are just about to finish off.

We're also digging up loads and loads of iris rhysomes from the farm, they're just too prescious to waste, and our paddocks are going to start being cultivated next week. I'm happy to send anyone some rhysomes for the cost of postage, only thing is I can't guarantee the colours, but they are not just plain yellows and purples. Have a look at this webpage if you'd like a preview of what we have approx 1 acre of to dig up.
http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Welcome.html

At home I have 3 hens moulting, so eg numbers are starting to dwindle. At the farm my 3 roosters are still living in a smallish cage (3 x 1mt) all together and getting along just fine :thumbright , 2 more weeks and i'll be able to set things up to give them some more space until their run is built. They get let out for a good scratch and forage every second day when I go down there.

Would love to see photo updates of how your gardening progress is going?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: So summers over and it's autumn in the garden.
Nothing is happening in my vege patch as the makeshift fence I put up to keep Peter Pan the Big Fat Lamb out didn't work for very long. So until I get something more substantial up Peter and the ducks and chickens have free run of it.

I'll PM you about the iris.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 pm
Forum Moderator

Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy J!

GG isn't that the way you look after the orphans and they thankyou for eating your vegies:o

Our summer vegies are coming to an end. So beds are getting cleared out. I'm supposed to be making a green house to try and keep the frost at bat and hopefully keep some vegies you g through the winter!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

We have germinated Red Cabbage, Wombok, and Spinach. Seed for snow peas went in last week and more will go in next month. The garlic has started to sprout and the onions are looking good.
Everything is in foam boxes on the verandah (to avoid frost)and also because as we have lucerne coming up in the vegie garden as green manure.
Crinia

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

:oops: Oh dear I sent my early post from my Iphone and must have got auto corrected and silly me didnt check what was actually posted

GG lets try thankyou BY eating your vegies :o

And Ill just try and keey the frost at bay and hopefully keep some vegies going through the winter :roll:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Busy time in my veggie patch at the moment. Picking the last of the zucchini (thank Christ!!), tomatoes, and beans. Have plenty of carrots and parsnips on the go as well as spinach by the armload. Have made heaps of pickles, chutneys and relishes and bottles p spiced beans and beetroot.

My winter garden is coming along with more carrots, turnips, more spinach, beetroot, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, leeks and onions. I don't usually have a winter garden so I am looking forward to what I can do this year.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]