View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Chook manure (Pics) 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Chook manure (Pics)
I have a pile of chook manure that would have been sitting there for 12-24 months. Would it be safe to use straight as a top dress in a garden bed?

My new garden bed needs raising about half a foot. If I loosen the soil and mix in the chook manure a bit, do you think it will be ok to fill it up with the chook manure?

Cheers.

Last edited by Chookie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Chook manure
yes. definitely. especially if you are planning to plant leafy greens.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:41 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Chook manure
Excellent. I thought so but wasn't 100% sure as straight manure can burn plants but since it has been composting for so long I would think it would be ok now.

Here's some pics.

Chook Manure (Has been sitting in a big pile for well over 12 months)

Front left, side garden bed (before) I have pulled the Yakkas out as I really don't like them when I have children running around and my Maremma (Xena) has poked her eye on one too :-( They are an attractive plant, I don't mind them but they just don't suit our lifestyle.

Front left, side garden bed (After) I just need to finish top dressing then mulch.

I have planted a Lilly Pilly, Poinsettia and Geisha girl (Loving Lilly Pilly's alot at the moment) They are so easy to grow, they grow relatively fast and provide great shade!

And this is the front right, side garden which I haven't finished yet but will be planting the same plants as the left side. And I thought, in the mean time, while I am waiting for them to grow and bush out I will grow our vegies in amongst them as we don't have the vegie patch built yet. I am loving the new place, we have so many plans, I'm excited. I will start another thread and show off some more pics :-)

P.S

Sorry about the large photo's and that they are not alligned the right way. I did edit and save them in photo bucket, but as usual, my changes don't happen :x :scratch

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 am
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Chook manure (Pics)
I can see why you're so excited. there's nothing like making something into your own. love the color choice and the ideaof planting vegies while you're waiting for your trees to grow. everything's should get a good start in that old manure.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Chook manure (Pics)
Thanks Jayups. Yes, the exciting part is being able to start with a blank canvas and make it our own. I am very passionate about turning it into our own little paradise where we can raise our family and become self sufficient :-)

Check out my new thread for more pics :cheersarm

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2693

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]