View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Damaged Red Robin 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Damaged Red Robin
One of my Red Robins copt a a bit of damage when Koori sat on it which snapped the trunk/stem right at the base. It hasn't died off so it's still going strong and I have stood it back up with supports. But not sure what I can do to repair the damage. I'm afraid it will never hold it's own wight when it gets bigger.

Any tips would be great. Thanks.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Damaged Red Robin
Most important is to tape the stem over he break with some grafters' tape if you have access to it, otherwise electriian's tape will do at a pinch. Make sure you overlap well to give goo support - use a couple of bamboo satay skewers for added support.

Apart from that, keep the ater up to it and some season or other "mild" liquid fertiliser may also help recovery.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks. It has been snapped for quite a while now. I'm going for a trip to bunnings tomorrow to get more potting mix etc so I will get some grafters tape too & fix it as you suggested. I have given them all a feed with Osmocote all purpose fertiliser last week aswell as nitrophosga at the beginning of spring. Will that suffice or should I still give it some liquid, a seaweed solution perhaps? The osmocote is slow & fast release if that helps any...?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 pm
Green Thumb

I wouldn't give any more fertiliser, although a diluted seaweed solution would be OK. I think the best thing once you have it bound and splinted is to make sure it gets the water it needs.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Ok, thanks Guzzi. I am watering every day, if not, every second day and it seems to be ok and hopefully splinting and grafting will secure it :-)

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]