View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
new community garden 
Regular Gardner

Post Re: new community garden
This sounds fantastic! I have often thought I would like to be part of one of these even though I have the space at home. :)

Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 pm
Forum Moderator

g'day all, hope everyone is going well! been a long time since ive been on here, you know how it is !
Well finally ive got something to write about :cheersarm :cheersarm The community garden has FINALLY been approved, not in the original spot but what happens to be a part of a much better project that is to include many other projects like mens shed, botatical garden and even a venue to get married in!! The land was purchased by council some time ago and has been sitting here caught in red tape , it used to be a small plot of land that had a tourist attraction here called paradise country , sheep shearing , cuddling koalas , sheep dogs etc but fell into bad disrepair many years ago and shut the doors and since then has had horses adjisted here, how they never got hurt there never know. Skilled australia has had its workers here working solidly for months and its come up looking great,
Our community garden part has only been going for a couple of weeks and its been a great thing to be part of getting the higher beds ready for the disabled and community plots for all the soup kitchens etc. I have already met some fantastic people , lots of things in the pipeline including a fruit orchard and a pizza oven , the shed will be built fairly soon which will make things easier and allow us to the chance to have water for our use within a reasonable distance.
We all pay a $12 a season for a bed that is approx 6 x 1.2 m .. not huge to some of you but a great section for me who has been lost without anything worthy to grow in for nearly 2 years now, ive dug out all the couch grass ( hard work ) , the soil is like chocolate and full of worms already , so pleased , as my plot is only 200mm deep im layering it with sugar cane , mushroom compost and imported certified orgainic soil and another layer of compost , turning it all and final layer of sugar cane before actually planting . Also im helping with the path layouts and the rest of the garden which will include a sensory section. will fill you all in with my new adventures!! :thumbright

Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 pm
Forum Moderator

That sounds awesome OG no wonder your excited and been a bit scarce around here lately. I love the sound of a sensory garden, we had one at our childrens kindergarten and it was wonderfully designed within a spiral path, lots of different textures and aroma's, fun for the parents as well as the kids. Good luck with yours, and I most certainly look forward to hearing some updates.

Don't keep us waiting for too long :thumbright

Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 pm
Forum Moderator

Hey OG thats fantastic - realy good you can get your hands dirty again ;)

Love to see the progress.

Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm
Regular Gardner

i have been involved with the setting up of the Cove Community Garden here in Agnes Water,
It has taken over a year to find some suitable land,and sort out all the legalities of starting a new community group, am green with envy at council throwing thirty grand at your garden,
Get Bunnings to allocate you a Saturday to do the sausage sizzle, we made 1600.00 on a quiet day(new years eve)
If you go to Cove Community Garden on facebook you can see some pics of what we have started to do, we recieved our banana license from the DPI last week and have just planted out the six allowable varietys for our area.
Love the community garden concept and love the disparit groups of people it brings together.

Wed May 30, 2012 4:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2