View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
new community garden 
Forum Moderator

Post new community garden
starting to get excited here on the gold coast....

as some of you may be aware i live on a very steep small block that sadly doesnt get much sun , less and less as my north side neighbour has a very quick growing tree that is blocking more sun as each day passes. I have given up on the vegetable growing on my block just too much shade ..
....BUT ...... they are in the process of starting a community garden in my area and i'm so excited , general meeting to be held tomorrow , I'm already a financial member. It will be great to be part of the planning stages , our local counciller is throwing $30,000.00 at it and the only thing holding it back at this stage is all the fine print ( water, power, billing, insurance )
Once that is all knuckled out it will be all systems firing.
The local bunnings store is behind it 100% as well and we are in discussions with the Richmond Birdwing butterfly society as well to incorporate vines to help support the population..(great idea)
Our area allotted to us is fantastic , only small atm but with enough enthusium from the public they have said the council will allow us more space, currently it is positioned in an area known as the dog park , plenty of sunshine near the river ( wont flood ) .

so excited .....watch this space ..... :lol:

Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: new community garden
That sounds really exciting :)

Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm
Site Administrator

Sounds great, look forward to some updates of how your going :)

Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

should be more of it IMO. Keep us updated.

Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 am
Green Thumb

that is fantastic!!!!
I doubt i could ever cope in suburbia ever again- can not deal with my neighbor flying his b***y f****n' various aircraft over my place and casting shadows- let alone have some thoughtless (or maybe just uneducated) neighbor over shadowing me with their building/garden and blocking out my sun to that extent....... I would not be a good neighbor any longer I am certain!!!
at least you can escape to the coast and breathe the sea air from time to time as you need to.

oh. ps -
while i fully understand each to his own and the right we all have to do as we desire within reason on our own property- this guy low circles my house because he knows it upsets me. we are having a 'discussion' about boundaries and access and he has found a way to piss me off that is hard to challenge or prove (CASA want me to to take photos as evidence- they rang him and he denied it- of course!- so now he does it non stop patrolling along the boundaries- far enough away that I can not get the camera organised quickly-he knows.....)

how did we get to this point? long story!

anyway- back to the point- congratulations on the community garden- it will make a huge difference to the whole community- but make sure you get what you need from it-don't be the one who carrys the burden of all the constitutional stuff.
:clap

Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I think every local community should have its garden and Mens' Shed. They serve such a useful purpose and draw together people who normally don't even talk the the folks next door. Good on you Ollie Girl.

Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 am
Forum Moderator

:cheersarm

Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

you will love it. :D
i've had a community plot for nearly 2 years, we have a morning tea and seed/magazine swap every friday and it is the best part of my week.

Sat May 28, 2011 3:28 pm
Forum Moderator

I am really looking forward to it, to feel that sense of community spirit too. They plan to have a few building structures made from cob ( oven ) and a straw building workshop etc. They will encourage everyone to get in and be a part of design .. I think it will be a great way to be around like minded people and hopefully make some friends along the way.
Thanks for everyones interest. I will post photos as things progress, hopefully soon!!

Sat May 28, 2011 3:40 pm
Site Administrator

That is great to hear!

Sat May 28, 2011 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next