View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Solar Hot Water Tubes 
Sprout

Post Solar Hot Water Tubes
I would be interested in hearing from anyone in the Canberra area who has installed a solar hot water tubular system. I am thinking of purchasing one and would like to know how long you need to run your electric or gas boost over winter.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Solar Hot Water Tubes
If I had pulled my finger out last year I could tell you. :rolleyes: I was planning to get a system installed my self but never got around to it.
This winter though has been not a good one for solar so would have even a good worse case for comparison.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 pm
Sprout

There's a lot more factors involved resulting in how much additional backup you need to boost your solar system, tubes or otherwise, so it wouldn't be of any use to simply say, "we use $X on gas as backup per winter quarter. "
Your tank size, your solar system size and the number of users in relation to that size, its orientation, your usage style ( morning or evening showers, hot water washing, etc) among other considerations.
It sounds a simple question you posed, but a complex one to answer.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:34 pm
Forum Moderator

I've just installed a evacuated tube system from red circle solar. Currently running now for about 2 months March - Aprill in Goulburn with no backup. There is a electric element in the tank but have chosen not to connect it at this stage. This particular system uses an open vented tank and a built in heat exchange I'm to provide water to the house.

I have just also installed a heat exchange in the flue of our wood heater and connected it to the tank -the reason for the open vented tank. I'm yet to light the fire and see how it goes :o

Given we run the fire 24/7 through winter I anticipate that it will provide sufficient heat top up for the solar.

So far with temps in the high 20s the water will boil in the tank each day. We have had a few days of no sun and only about 18 deg I have noticed the water temp is down a bit but still plenty hot enough to shower in - extra cold water required-

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]