View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Piggies and Chooks ? 
Sprout

Post Piggies and Chooks ?
Can they live in the same area? We are about to get 2 piglets, and the best area for them to free range is with our 'ladies'. Could this cause problems? Interested to hear of anyones experience in this roomate concept. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:14 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Piggies and Chooks ?
I had a similar thought and after a little research found that pigs occasionally get peeved with the chickens and eat them!
However there is a fair few people on the internet saying that if its a large area then its fine.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Cai wrote:
pigs occasionally get peeved with the chickens and eat them!

if a chook / duck gets close enough to the end of the pig with teeth, it maybe come lunch for the pig, but again, if the pigs are free ranging and there is enough "things" to eat, the pigs do not care, starve a pig and "you" could loose a hand or leg yourself.

It is the same with fences, if the pig has enough feed within the paddock, they have no reason to "break free".

I leave the gate open when I feed mine, and the rush out the eat some "fresher" grass, but when they hear the "slop" going into the tubs, they run back very quick, then eat a little, then go over to the water tub, because they know it is shower time.

My pigs have so much feed they are very happy in their 1/4 arce pen (4 x 7 months old) and do not wish to get out.

This is only my opinion, but I have a "strange view" to feeding animals, give them heaps, give them varity, give them natural feed as well as commerical feed. :hmm

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:55 pm
Sprout

Thanks folks... I have since had a rethink and am concerned about the damage the pigs could do the fence, which needs to be 100% secure cos of fox issue. I will build them a new area to call home. :)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:00 am
Forum Moderator

According to Joel Salatin, pigs and chooks make great companion animals and as long as there is sufficient feed for the pigs there should be no problems with chooks. He has pens etc that he has pigs chooks and rabbits in, all working together.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:49 pm
Site Administrator

Cool, i've just got to that section of his book, I might give it a try with some brown laying hens first :lol:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Our pig ate a rooster. She is very well fed. Had me worried that she developed a taste for them but hasnt seemed interested since.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

rayan wrote:
Our pig ate a rooster. She is very well fed. Had me worried that she developed a taste for them but hasnt seemed interested since.

got fed up with the crowing?

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]