View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Home grown Pork 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Home grown Pork
Several years ago we were given a couple of piglets, which we grew out on comerical pig feed and some vegtable scrap etc. At about six months of age they were sent to the butcher and when they were dressed came in at approximately fifty kilos each. I have to say it was the best pork that we and our family have had in many years.

In March of this year we came across a advert online for a piglet, so again we brought her home and this time she has been fed on a limited amount of commercial pig food and a fair amount of swill consisting of Veg of all types, bran and pollard and assorted scraps.

This time around we hope to try our hand at curing our own bacon either dry curing or smoking, I have yet to build a smoke house at this stage but my wife keeps mentioning it all the time. We are even hoping to attempt salami as well.

We would be interested in hearing from anyone that has had experience in smoking or dry curing be there experiences good or bad.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Sun May 16, 2010 8:22 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Home grown Pork
It's funny you mention pigs, as we are just in the process of getting ready to buy a couple of piglets to fatten up, i'm about to attempt to build a smoker using a 44 gallon drum so i will let you know how that design goes!
How did the slaughtering go, did you just approach a local butcher to do it or did you kill them yourself and take them into the butcher & what was the cost of butchering?

Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Last time around we took them to the local butcher at Tailem Bend who did it all for us. The cost worked out the be fifty dollars per pig to kill, dress, cut up and box. Thats working on a dollar a kilo for the final dressed weight. The down side of the butcher doing all the work for you is that you dont get the offal, head or trotters, that if you want them.

We are giving consideration to attempting the whole process ourselves this time, having killed and dressed goats and sheep over the years. But we still have a little time before we have to give serious consideration to what we will do.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Sun May 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Site Administrator

Wow. That is much cheaper than I expected for the butchering.

I can't wait to use home reared pork. I'm sure it will taste amazing.

If you are looking for ideas and help as far as smoking, salamis and home curing, watch some River Cottage. I think its in season one. He gets pigs and raises them, then does all sorts of wonderful things with the dressed meat. It's worth having a look.

Sun May 16, 2010 9:07 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yep he is fairly reasonable, and cuts it up the way you want. The only thing is the nearest butcher is over a 70 km round trip away. But it is truely worth it all.

Sun May 16, 2010 9:13 pm
Sprout

Last edited by baringapark on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 am
Site Administrator

What? They lost them? Thats crazy! How did you track them down?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 am
Sprout

Last edited by baringapark on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 am
Green Thumb

Yes this is our concern with sending our sheep to the abattoir, a few people have told us that they are certain they have not received the same animal back.....

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:06 pm
Forum Moderator

We have our first lot of piggies ready to be sent to the big yard in the sky, on Sunday.
Sadly I wont be there to help out with the process as we are up in Canberra.

We have another 3 litters due from July onwards and have done well selling the pigletts so far.They come from a smaller bred line of Saddlebacks.

Will be great to finally taste the meat. Next thing to learn.. how to smoke and cure pork ;)

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next