View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Is there a Season for buying piglets? 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Is there a Season for buying piglets?
As is always the way. The moment I decide I want to buy something, the season has passed LOL! Can someone tell me if there is a 'season' in which to buy piglets? I guess Spring would most likely be the best time but do pigs breed all year round? And if we were to get two piglets in say Spring, when is the best time of year to send them off for processing? Just how big should we let them get?

Also, a friend who had some pigs butchered complained about the pigs being very fatty. Is this good? Is it a breed thing? Or is it purely what they're fed? While I know a certain amount of fat is good I don't want to be disappointed in the end product if it could have been avoided.

Cheers
Lyn

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Wed May 28, 2014 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: Is there a Season for buying piglets?
Pork should have a nice layer of fat. When my sister had hers processed the butcher said there wasn't enough!

Besides, natural saturated fats have been redeemed and are no longer considered a heart disease risk, and it's eating carbs that make you fat, not eating fat. So bring on the fat!

Thu May 29, 2014 9:17 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Is there a Season for buying piglets?
Thanks guzzigirl, I don't mind a bit of fat but I was worried as to what is considered too much fat :D I don't want the meat to be greasy.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Thu May 29, 2014 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]