View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
New piggies! 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post New piggies!
Two of my Large Blacks farrowed this morning. Both were first litters.

One had 5 and the other six, but two were dead (probably crushed).

What is really interesting is the mix - the two dead ones looked pure Large Black. The rest were (by appearance) 1 Berkshire, 1 Blue Merle, 1 ginger with brown and black patches. The rest (6) look like pure Large Blacks. I got them on Melbourne Cup Day so based on 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days, they were in pig when I got them. We think the boar was a Berkshire and mine is a Large White...

Who's yo daddy?

The other interesting development is that the larger of the two sows (the one that had two dead ones) has "stolen" all the piglets and won't let the other sow near them! Anyone seen this behaviour before?

And 5 more to farrow in the next couple of weeks...

Time to put netting around the fences methinks!

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: New piggies!
sounds like you are going to be overrun before too long! I have heard of chickens stealing chicks from another hen but don't know about pigs. I'm guessing that because they both farrowed the same day and her instincts were so strong she thought they were all hers?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:59 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

This morning two of the piglets have decided mum is best and gone back to her! The rest of he defectors remain with their surrogate mum.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:33 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

Congratulations & sorry about the dead ones, i've got one piglet that has adopted a different mother but only after I tried weaning it...!

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Wow, you are going to be overrun with little piggies - how nice.

You'll have to take some photos to post so we can have a look at them all (so far) :D

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Hi guy. Been away from here for a while. I ended up with 40+ piglets that gradually ended up at 34 due to crushing.

I then had two more farrow a few weeks later giving 16 piglets. The next day we got very cold weather and heavy rain, with the result that the hollows they had made in their shelters flooded. The sows took hem out into the paddock and tried to shelter them under a log but to no avail. That night i lost 14 piglets. The surviving two piglets succumbed over the next week as the rain continued.

One of my original litter (3 Saddlebacks) grew into a lovely looking boar who spent his days lounging around in the bachelor pad. He went o a new home with a live in girlfriend a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully some of the others will head off on "holiday" to colder climes real soon now :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

Sorry to hear about your losses!
Great to hear from you again & hope things are going well out at the farm...look forward to hearing how they taste when moved from the cold climate to a warm sizzling environment!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]