View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Two new arrivals. 
Site Administrator

Post Two new arrivals.
On the weekend we went out to a farm to purchase a 30 tonne silo, we left with the silo but also managed to purchase two Large black pigs (too good a deal to pass up)
The pigs were delivered this morning & are settling into their new home.
We really love the temperament of the Large Black pigs not to mention the flavour so to say we are excited about tripling the number of Large blacks that we have is an understatement, we can also breed some x breed pigs with our other sow.
Below are some pictures of Roberta & Phil settling into their new home and no doubt enjoying the fact that they avoided becoming salami!
Below the happy couple!

Roberta

Young Phil the boar

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Post Re: Two new arrivals.
Excellent!!! They look very happy with their new home :D

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:26 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Cai & Em, I'm seriously jealous. I love LBs.

If you see any Large White Boars in your travels, please let me know. I expect I'll end up having to settle for a Landrace or similar, but we can live in hope.

Cheers,
Alan

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

Thanks, they sure do seem happy & Alan funny you mention Large White Boar, the guy we bought these off was selling off some of his blacks because he had just bought a large white boar in to cross over them. I could pass on his details to you and you could ask him where he located the boar?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yes please!

Cheers,
Alan

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Regular Gardner

Seriously jealous...they look amazing Cai....ohhh how I want to get pigs again :cry:

Cai, any chance you can show us your pig enclosures, waterers, feeders etc. Id be keen to see how you manage your pigs. Thanks

Mark

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 pm
Site Administrator

markymark wrote:
Seriously jealous...they look amazing Cai....ohhh how I want to get pigs again :cry:

Cai, any chance you can show us your pig enclosures, waterers, feeders etc. Id be keen to see how you manage your pigs. Thanks

Mark

Pigs are wonderful animals to have around, i'll take some photos on monday & put them up of the different methods we use to keep pigs in as well as watering methods and feed.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Thanks Cai. If Im going to get pigs again, I might as well look at how others are managing them and pick up any cool ideas.

Here's the WSBs I sold earlier this year

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 pm
Site Administrator

Sorry not got the pictures for you yet Markymark we've had a spot of rain, introduced my pet piggy Delilah to the boar today & she spent the afternoon playing hard to get...

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Interesting side note.

I read in the latest issue of Practical Pig that they merged the two primary saddleback breeds (Wessex and Essex) into a single "British Saddleback" breed in 1967 on the basis of genetic studies.

I wonder if the name will ever catch on in Australia...

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]